my first time trying hyposalinity

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by KOgle, Jan 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

If you are treating with hyposalinity as compared to chemicals then no... as far as ick, not all that much esp, since that is the ONLY way you will keep the ick from going dormant, aside from leaving a fish in the tank. UVs haven't been show to kill dormant ick but then again they haven't been shown to NOT kill dormant ick.... I honestly don't really care for UVs all that much so I can't tell you how effective they will be on the dormant ones.... in all reality probably not all that effective. I have heard that dormant ick can handle being dried up for short periods of time.
    Amyloodinium is marine velvet, scourge of the reef keeper. One of, if not THE hardest parasite to erradicate. It can handle SG all the way down to fresh water, can live off light indefinetly and attacks the gills and lungs before anything else, sometimes a fish is dead before you know it has velvet.... Copper and acriflavine are the only ways to go with velvet, at least with darn near 100% effectiveness. Granted people try all sorts of methods, flushing the system, no light, so on and so forth.
    Like nano stated it is FAR easier for a fish to go to lower SG than to go to higher SG because HIGHER is very tough on the osmoregulation. You can drop the salinity fairly quickly.

Good luck!

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Kriss I think you are peeing into the wind here ..what you are thinking will be of no value at this point .
    I myself would slow down and let the system settle out . I think you have either one of two issues going on with this problem of what is thought to be ich . . One is you could well be fighting a battle with the newer strain of it's is the cryptoncaryon that is going around . This newer strain of marine ich is not at all sensitive to treatment with copper or formaldehyde Quine sulfateis about the only magic bullet that is known to kill off this strain of cryptocaryon also this drug is good for Brooklynella just incase this is the issue ?
    To treat a single tank to I’d use the qunine sulfate every 24 hrs or with a 25% water change before each new treatment for a week or 7 days

Also on the other hand you could be doing battle with a case of Amyloodinium, Oodinium, Marine Velvet, Saltwater Ich With this it can take upwards of 3 month for it to cycle out and die off from death and or removal of last infected fish.. With this I’d simple allow what will live to live and just let it be for a 3 to 4 months . Either of these will affect corals just fish.

I find that When whole aquariums of fish are lost in a short period of time it is usually to oodinum. Oodinum is a parasite which first attacks the gills. Therefore, heavy breathing is the earliest recognizable symptom. As the infestation advances, the body will take on a powdery or velvet-like appearance. The spots are much smaller than Cryptocaryon spots. Oodinum can kill fish in less than a week

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

That sounds more like what I'm going through Roger.

Sounds like I'm just stuck at this point.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Kriss I just sent Bryce some info on what I'd do and what i do to help avoid this problem I'm sure he will send it onto you.

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

OOOO ya I will... we need to get to the bottom of this! A fishless tank sucks!

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Yea it was a good meeting to look at a empty tank today.....just kidding. I think I would be there too if it wasn't for the ozone running. Don't think I will be going back to that wholesaler again. :cry:

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Ya Scott I'm glad at least one of us wasn't hurt by it. After talking to Roger it looks like I might have a fishless tank for a couple months... but hey I will have an awesome cleanup crew and some new coral frags!! Glad you dodged the bullet... guess it was "too good to be true"