My First tank - Did the LFS mislead me?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SammyP, Dec 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

K Nano may do the trick!

2. Click Here!

3. SammyP

SammyP Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Huh? I don't understand norcalguy. These are my plans.. Buy a test kit record a couple days of data, post it, then maybe get a goby or a small small small domino damsel

4. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i would agree that a tank that small isn't good for saltwater. i have 3 fish in a 30 gallon. the tank might of been fully cycled but the waste from the fish and inverts would of caused the nitrates and ammonia in the tank to spike again killing the fish.

5. SammyP

Here we go! I officially have my test kit and have taken the first readings.
    the Kit i bought was
    API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals)
    Saltwater Master Test Kit (this kit measures in ppm)

High Range pH - 8.0
    Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) - .5
    Nitrite (NO2-) - 0
    Nitrate (NO3-) - 40

Hows that sound? Its been quite a few weeks since there has been a fish in the tank only thing living in my tank are 3 snails 1 hermit crab and a cleaner shrimp

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Glad to hear u bought a test kit.

Ammonia should be 0.
    Nitrite should be 0.
    Nitrates should be under 10.

Remember to test each parameter at least three times and then use the average.

U have these high numbers because of the recent die off combined with low oxygen. It's gonna be hard for us help with this tank due to the lack of gas exchange.

Is there any way you can rig up a small cheap sump? Even a jug, bucket, or Tupperware bin would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SammyP

would love to but from what iv heard of sumps their just a small tub with more water in it right? im just not sure how its connected or how it would help. From what little iv gathered its kind of looks like a filter only uses overflow water and doesn't have a pump.

8. Click Here!

9. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I'm away from home til the 20th, so I'll try to explain from my phone as best as I can.

A overflow is a gravity fed siphon that drains into another tank kept under the display tank. A return pump pushes water back to the display. The overflow rate will match the return rate to form a balance.

For your tank a small maxijet pump and tubing will work. While the water is down in the sump most reefers clean it through various methods: filter socks, skimmers, refugiums, media reactors, DSB, bioballs etc etc. So the water going back is cleaner and oxygenated.

Since your tank has a lid there's no gas exchange, but a small sump will fix that.

There's an article here on 3reef all about sumps and refugiums. Look under featured articles and u should see it.

To answer your question posted in this thread title, yes I'm afraid your LFS did misled you. You can jury rig your current tank, but seriously start looking for used setups. People sell fully setup tanks all the time for very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Don't get anymore fish yet! You have to get rid of the ammonia first and make sure your water is good. If you get another fish, it's just going to die like the rest.

I wouldn't recommend a domino damsel for a 6 gallon tank, they get 6 inches and are very mean.

Here's the link to the article WhiskeyTango mentioned, I learned a lot from it since I'd never had a sump before & didn't know how they worked: http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/all-about-sumps-filters-fuges-79852.html

11. SammyP

Also how an I get my nitrate and ammonia levels down? I don't have any fish producing waist. Any suggestions? I did how ever add some fish food last night that might be throwing it off. The food is called "instant ocean" the LFS gave it to me for free

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

#1 thing to do is stop going to that LFS. Period. That guy is messing you around so bad it's not even funny. If he's the only LFS around, then stop listening to him, he either doesn't know what he's talking about or he just plain doesn't care.

Is the food the gel type? I got some free in my salt and threw it away because all I've heard is how bad it pollutes your tank (which is probably why they're giving the stuff away). If you put food in, it's going to produce ammonia. I assume you were feeding the crab? If so, every few days is fine, and just get some crab pellets and put maybe 5 in there (they're very small sinking pellets). That's it.

Have you done any water changes?

I feel like you still don't understand the basics of a saltwater aquarium, including the cycle. Please read these:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/ultimate-newbie-guide-86462.html
    Common Saltwater Aquarium Mistakes - Most Common Saltwater Aquarium Mistakes