Urgent my first tank , dead rock

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by zahi, Sep 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zahi

zahi Plankton

dear all .
    im new to this hobby been reading over 6 month i started my salt water aquarium and trying to make a nice design with my dead rock please give me ideas if u can .find attached pics

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Amethyst

Amethyst Astrea Snail

The best way to do your rocks, in terms of water flow is to stack it loosely, with open areas between the rocks, build arches by putting one rock across two others with space between them, etc. That will also give you different levels for placing corals, based on their light and flow needs, and if you add fish, there will be places for them to hang out in the nooks and crannies. As for aesthetics, it's really up to you. I like to have things higher on one end, lower in the middle, and then a bit of height on the other end, but less than the other height, but that's just me. To get ideas, look through galleries of tanks on this and other sites, and see what you like. Good luck.

Billme likes this.
  4. Roccus

Roccus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

you need to have a vision of what you want to create.. as amethyst said, create caves and over hangs for you fish.. but keep your platforms stable ... you can zip tie rocks or use marine epoxy ( designed for the job) to secure those that are unstable... I like to set my rock on a piece of grate used in suspended ceiling for ventilation. before adding the sand.. a 2'X 4' piece is around $12 at Lowes or Home /depot... it gives the rock a base to set on so the sand cant shift and move it ... design your set up around your water flow to keep detritus from settling... know roughly what you want to have in there and assemble... study other tanks and take what you like form each...no matter how you arrange things.. you'll change them a few times... go slow and enjoy...