My first Salt

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Godbert, Feb 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Nice looking tank and pics.

Thanks for posting.

Yep that green hair algae will soon take over tank if not dealt with now..

Check out,

Green Hair Algae, Why Me?

Ummm, "Cat Shark"???? - You sure you really want that to hatch? --- In time may be only fish in tank...:-/

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Looks like either a Kenya Tree or a Colt but I'm leaning towards Kenya tree

4. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'd take care of the hair algae. What bulbs are you running, VHO or T-5?

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Looks like Kenya tree to me also...it spread in my tank as bad as your hair algae. :-/

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Yea but at least you can kill or get rid of them. LOL, not that I would kill it.

I noticed some hair algae on the base of my frog spawn last night, it is a 5 or 6 head piece so its rather large. It the only spot that I have it in that tank so I want to get rid of it ASAP.

Anyone got any Ideas as to how I should remove it with out hurting the Spawn? I have heard that you cant even scrape that stuff off because unless you get it ALL just grows back.

7. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

thanks everyone for the advice and kind words right now i am running a carbon based filter (im not sure if thats what you meant) with both a nitrate and a phosphate sponge. i have vhos and to be honest i got the cat shark just for the experience i plan on returning him to the lfs once he hatches. thanks for the coral id and i do not have a refugium, seemed difficult/pricy to build and even more expensive to buy, once i learned that it was not essential i decided against it for the time being. Now that you all seem so concerned about my mandarin, i am a bit concerned. i got him over a month and a half ago so i thought that he would be fine. any advice?

8. Click Here!

9. Godbert

sorry everyone forgot to post my sailfin blenny
    [​IMG]

10. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Don't get me wrong I'm glad your getting into the hobby, but you are not doing nearly enough research. The lionfish is going to grow a lot, and guess what it eats? Anything that fits into its mouth, so all those nice fish are going to slowly disappear. I'm glad you plan to return the shark to the store once it hatches, but make sure the store will take it back, because sometimes they don't.I'll be honest about your mandarin. There is a 98% chance it is going to die a slow agonizing death from starvation because there is no way a tank that is about 2 months old is mature enough or stocked enough to support one. A mandarin dragonet can decimate the pod population in a very well stocked tank, let alone an immature one. Refugiums pretty much are a must for these fish. My suggestion is take it back to the fish store. (You can make your own DIY refugium out of an old tank and it is relatively inexpensive)

Also the hair algae is pretty much expected since in all reality your tank could still be cycling. Try to pull all of the big clumps out by hand, and instead of getting more fish focus on a cleaning crew for the time being. I've found astrea snails and mexican turbos (my personal favorite, but they may knock over corals inadvertently) to do well with hair algae. Also you might look in to dwarf blue leg hermits. Before you get them though have your water tested as inverts are more sensitive to nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia than fish. Also make sure you salinity is around 1.024-1.025 for them. You might try getting a bacterial boost for your tank since there is so much in there right now. It can't hurt.

Please don't take this as a scorning lecture, I just want you to know what's going on in your tank. And please, please always research something before you bring it home. There are special diets, special water conditions, and compatibility issues that many fish have that you need to know before you bring one home. Don't rush getting your fish. The store will still be there down the road (and if it closes there are other ways to get fish, corals, etc.)

2 people like this.
  11. Godbert

im sorry i forgot to post that the tank has been running for more than two years, i got it two months ago as for the mandarin i was just at the lfs today and i believe i am going to get some cyclopeez? ( i think) and i also made sure that the lfs would take the lionfish back as a condition that i bought it thank you for your concern though, and i by no means intend to retort because i truly do appreciate whatever advice anyone will give me

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great looking tank! You could always trade in the big lion fish and jget a dwarf lion fish. Either way,good luck with your tank and if you have any Q's, just ask. Luna