my first mushroom propagation

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by emshofk, Feb 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

While i have you here and we are on the subject of outbreaks of bad things, I have noticed sea weed creaping across the tank. first a bunch on one rock then a growing bunch on another. green/brown in color and none of the fish eat it. sort of curly and growing in bunches. once in a while a piece floats around the tank until it gets pulled into the filter. Looks natural but im wondering of in time it too will take over the tank. Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

one last thing. sorry about that. Do you actually inject the hot water using a needle or blast hot water into the center of its mouth or what? a few of them are very close to coral and i dont want to harm them in the process.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Can we get a pic of this "seaweed"? It's probably algae.

5. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Joe's Juice or Aiptasia-X work well as well, or Kalp paste, or lemon juice or arrow headed crab (although, those can be a PITA)

6. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

So i killed them all with boiled water. felt kinda bad doing it but once i did and saw the polyps that they had killed that feeling went away quickly. No i have another question. What about these? They dont seem to be spreading.

Attached Files:

7. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

The sea weed

Heres a wide angle. You can see the sea weed in 3 clumps. one just to the left of the tree and the other two up high on the rock in back.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

They will spread an once they do, it will be a nightmare.

10. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

So what i think your saying is that ANY anemone is bad? Cause these guys are different. they have very short tentacles and are sort of bubble looking. Ive had them on this rock for 3 or 4 months now and none have popped up anywhere else. only the Aiptasia which i will keep a sharp eye out for from now on. If i have to kill these too i will. I just like the diversity.

11. SwimsWithFish

If its Aptasia then yes it will do harm.

12. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

I have to thanks you guys for letting me know about my impending problem. I would have fed and cared for these things until all of a suddem they had taken over the tank. There are some very smart people on this forum. Im glad i joined up.