my first impules buy and apparently it was the worst

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Anthos312, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Definitely go with Inwall's suggestion of a slurry type of concoction. I am sure with his experience his method is tried and true. Mysis is going to be too big IMO. It has to be very small and left in the water column for a period of time.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

alright, well i will be going to a fish store tomorrow to pickup some other stuff anyways. I was planning on making some of my own fish food and blending it (Raw shrimp, oysters, other seafood recommendations). If i blend it, u guys think this stuff will still be too large?

Are you talking about spot feeding it with those bottled coral products, like the kent marine stuff?

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's all going depend on the quality of your blender.

That's one of the hardest things about blender mush. To get it to the correct size for corals, it's too small to feed the fish. Heck, I have to have 3 different batches because I need real big bites for the predator tank.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm not a fan of Kent's coral foods. You're paying for a bottle of mostly water. For instance, if you squeeze some zoomax into a white dixie cup, you'll see that all that zoomax is is cyclopeeze in water. If you look at zooplex, you'll see that all that's the same thing....just with more water. My attitude is that if you're making blender mush, just buy a frozen bar of cyclopeeze and add it to your blender mush.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

+1, my gf's tank will be almost all gonos. I have all sorts of coral foods set aside for the undertaking. You can keep 99% of corals as long as you work around their needs.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Feed....get rid of the waste....feed again.....get rid of the waste again. They don't like dirty water. They need a lot of food but if you have nitrates at 100, they're going to die.

With most LPS, I prefer to never touch the tissue. This is pretty much the only exception. Touch the tissue and put them into your tank upside down so no air bubbles get trapped in the skeleton.

Julian Sprung found that dosing Kent Marine Iron Kent Marine » Iron & Manganese | Products was beneficial. I've never done it so I really cannot make any personal comments.

8. Click Here!

9. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

I would have done the same thing after seeing that at the lfs...good luck man.

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well day 2 now, still hasnt fully opened. Fingers crossed when the light comes on later. Friends are taking me to the fish store for graduation and my birthday, we will see what new additions i get.

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

so this coral still hasn't opened yet today. Ive noticed 2 things:

1) There are a few (3) worms crawling on it, definitely not bristleworms. They have a beaded body with a few small hairs at the end of their either tail or head.

2) There seems to be a weird part of this coral. It seems as though one of the "polyp/tentacle arm thing" hole contains no tentacle but instead something else. All i can see is some colorful shiny strands coming out of this whole. You should be able to see the whole in the picture and the strands in the other? Any idea?

Is it weird that this hasn't opened yet?

Attached Files:

12. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a red gonio that has been hosting my two clowns. At first the clowns bothered the gonio and it would retrack everytime they came near it. But now it is used to the clowns and doesn't ever retrack it's tentacles. The clowns also try to feed it. They grab the mysis and Dr.G's veggie stuff and bring it back to the gonio. The food is grabbed by the gonio so i assume it's trying to digest it.

When I feed that coral and my others I use Reef-Roids and Reefbugs. I'm not sure if one works and the other doesn't, but the combination seems to work for me. The gonio has been growing it's skeletan. This is an old pic a couple weeks after I purchased the goniopora. That part in the middle that doesn't have the skeletal structure is starting to grow together.

[​IMG]