My first DIY Project

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jnbahwkins, Oct 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Very nice John [smiley=thumbs_up.gif] A job well done. ;)I also built my own stand and I know you must have put a lot of time into getting everything just the way you wanted, I know I did. ;)

Here is the one I made
    http://www.3reef.com/Photo_Album/fletch/stand1.jpg

... John

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Those are both beautiful pieces of work!!!!

Great Jobs! :eek: :D

5. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

wow those are some nice stands guys, great work.

I built my self a stand for a 45 gallon hex tank that i have i used oak to do my stand, just wondering what kind of wood you guys used. oak is pretty expensive.

i was going to buy all the molding for the stand at my local hardware store untill i heard the price for that stuff, it would of ended up costing me just as much if not more to simply buying a stand at my LFS, so i bought a 3/4 x 6" x 8 foot piece of oak and made the moldings myself which in the end was still cheaper than buying a stand. Next time i think i'll use wood thats not so costly

Peter

6. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

I used pine for the frame,pine for the molding and birch wood for the paneling and the doors.oak is over rated.i did not like it.it was to light colored,would not have went with the pine pieces.myself an my bro brian are building a stand for his hex also,it is in my photo gallery.

I am trying to help him as little as possible because i want him to be able to say i built this myself.all i have done is hold wood in place and one time when i was holding wood he fired a brad nail 1/2 inch into the top of my middle finger,so if you look close through the glass on his stand you will see smudges in the rear bottom right side.that is my name in blood.that brad nailer we have been using is nutz when you fire it all the lights in the house dim.

7. beanoil

beanoil Plankton

Love it! I'm betting that if you did a little geneology research, Norm Abram is a relative of yours! Great job...

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Beautiful job!! I love the trim!!!! ;)

[quote author=John Hawkins link=board=DIY;num=1098270779;start=0#6 date=10/20/04 at 10:58:58] Now cutting down into the top of the 4x4 was a pain.tried a jigsaw,hacksaw and a scrollsaw,was at a loss,then i spotted a sabre saw in my neighbors basement.
    [/quote]

If you do that again try a circular saw (skillsaw) and cut slices at the correct depth, one blade width at a time, into the area you want to remove. Then chip it out with a chisel. This is the way you make furniture joints. You can also use a table saw and just run the end through, at the depth you want the slot, and cut one saw blade width at a time. then just cut at a little bit of an angle and the pieces will come out leaving a nice smooth even slot. ;)

I'm sure that sounds confusing, if you looked at it sideways it would look like the teeth of a comb that can easily be removed.

I've done a lot of this in house construction and it is very quick after a little practice.

Old carpenters trick #1083!! ;D

Drew