My first corals:)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by SwimsWithFish, Feb 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I hate being the bearer of bad news but you are in for the fight of your life with that GHA growing on ur rock....try to address the problem now before it takes over everything...believe me...it happens fast, and nearly made me go insane...

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I know... It's really bad... I'm going to try cutting lights back to 8 hours. What else can I do? I'm using rodi but my nitrates are at 10.

4. Kevin3884

More water changes...gotta starve that stuff out...i had to remove over 100lbs of rock that was "problematic"....get some snails in there asap while its short....once it gets long they wont eat it...maybe a Sally lightfoot too...but gotta get them nitrates down to starve it, along with cutting back lights

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Just watch how much food you're putting in the tank, and get some snails in there if you dont already. Turbos love gha. And it's sponge bob in the background. It looks like patrick but the blurr kinda throws off the guess.

6. Kevin3884

also do you have a fuge? if so get a crap load of macro algae in it....its kinda like fighting fire with fire...the more algae in ur fuge to eat nutrients, the less nutrients in the system to feed the GHA in the display....its a VERY tough battle....I'm STILL battling..its about 90% gone from my tank now...but i'm still consciously fighting it...manually extracting...its frustrating stuff

7. SwimsWithFish

I've got a ball of chaeto but I'll get more. My cycle ended 3 weeks ago so could that be it...? I've got a turbo and astrea snail. The turbo does an awesome job! I think I'll get another two this weekend.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Get some smaller snails too...ur gonna want 20 or more snails in there :)

10. SwimsWithFish

Cool:) can you recomend any small snails?

11. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Very nice! I will be following this thread. Just started my first reef tank as well, and I am also battling my nitrates. ATM I am moving all my fish back into my old tank until my reef tank re-stabilizes and I am able to pick up some more rock.

12. SwimsWithFish

Cool!:)