My first coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Urban_s, Aug 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I went over to a friends house and we were adding some live rock. He had some polyps that he dident really want so I bought a 4x6 piece full of polyps. I went over how he has been feeding his tank and such(reef snow 2x times a week, got some from him) and bought it for 10 bucks. I am so excited. My first coral. I put them under the middle of the tank(right under my VHO and 2 20watt NO's). I got them in their and almost instantly they all opened. I was wondering what kind they really are. They are brown with a bright green center. I was also woundering what you guys feed your polyps? I am planing on target feeding them 1 time a week reef snow and one time a week baby brine shrimp. I am gunna put a order in marine depot tomarrow or the next day so if you guys had any thing to recomend it would be nice. Oh and the diver is scuba steve.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Congrats :)
    I have the same polyps and don't feed them directly. I do add phytoplankton 2x a week. My polyp rock is by itself, I made a little island because they grow fast.

4. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Would they just keep expanding the colony by its self?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks like you might have zooanthids. These corals do fine with whatever fish food they can catch and with lighting. There is no need to target feed them. The colony will expand on its own and rather quickly at that :)