My first coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Scuba, Nov 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Hi Scuba,

I inherited one of these from the used system I bought recently. It is my first coral as well. I would be interested in hearing more about how your coral is doing and what you do to take care of it and feed it.

To be honest, I thought this coral only needed lighting and the occasional solid food supplement (like chopped shrimp floating in the water). I guess that's me just being a dumb newbie.

In any case, my flowerpot seems to be doing okay. I love watching it "blossom" when the lights are turned on.

Admittedly, when I first saw it, I thought the lump of rounded coral was a piece of plastic -- looked like a wet tennis ball!

I'll post a picture of mine when I get the chance. Perhaps we can swap ideas on how to keep it the flowerpots alive and encourage them to survive.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

4. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Hey JohnO -- thanks for the article!

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

LOL

Thanks for the Karma :)

Sorry about the brevity, I had to rush out for a few minutes but didn't want to lose the link.

Do a bit of a search and see if you can find an article written by Anthony Calfo, he had some really good info on Gonies and is well worth reading.

John

6. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Okay, did some searching on Anthony Calfo but didn't find an article on Gonies yet. But I did find a response he wrote to someone on WWM regarding flowerpots.

If I'm not breaking 3Reef protocol by quoting Anthony Calfo's WWM post, here it is:

<the salesman was acting "like well-intended" but still lied or was misinformed. You have a flowerpot. And even if you had been sold Alveopora (easier) instead of Goniopora.. they are both still very advanced and difficult species. There is almost no prayer of this coral surviving in your tank. They are in need of enormous aged refugiums (sand beds in excess of 6" and 1-2 years old minimum) to produce food (epiphytic matter, nanoplankton, etc)>

The quote is from: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/stonycoridfaq.htm

Time to get back to work. When I find Calfo's article, I'll post it.

Thanks.

7. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

JohnO the goniopora article was filled with conjecture? References in many cases were anecdotal. I believe it recognizes the difficulty in establishing success with goniopora keeping.

As such does it remain unestablished what gonis really need to be kept successfully? seems so, eh? Too bad. :(

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid