My first bout of ich chronicles

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by anpgp, Feb 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

I wouldn't use any chemicals in the QT at this point. I'm a big fan of hyposalinity and currently have two tanks running hypo for some new additions to the DT. But for your case, I would say don't do anything yet (no hypo or chems) since your clown is eating. I would try to build up their immune system (feedings, water quality) before trying hypo or chems and just observe feeding/swimming behaviour.

But remember, just because you don't see the ich doesn't mean it's gone. It's just fallen off the host to reproduce and will be back soon. If I see ich on a fish, I try to work on their immune system and once the ich is gone, that's when I do Hypo since that treatment (and any chem treatment for that matter) is only effective during the free-swimming stage of ich (not on the fish's body). Good Luck!

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

What chemicals? Are you refering to Marine-Max? No chemicals there, all natural, check it out............

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Alright, time for today's update. I tried to feed the clown some garlic soaked food but he wasn't having it. Still swimming fine and still has some white spots. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and he'll eat some.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Well good news, the clown is eating again after two days of not even batting an eye at food. I turned the QT light on 15 min prior to feeding and then gave him some garlic soaked food. So, do you guys think I should go ahead and continue the hypo treatment or just let things run its course? The white spots are still there but other than he seems fine, no abnormal swimming habits.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Good news today! The clown is continuing to eat and I couldn't see any white spots at all :D.

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Alright, well idk if anyone is following but it's been over two weeks now since I started this and the clown is doing great. Healthy appetite, no spots, everything looking great. I opted to not do the hypo treatment and just went with garlic soaked foods for a week. Now my question is how long should I wait before putting him back in the DT? I've heard 4 weeks is the recommended time, what does everyone else think. Another thing I was debating was leaving him in the QT longer since I'm battling a cyano outbreak and was thinking since I don't have any fish in there right now, that means less tank feedings and less stuff for the cyano to feed off of. Any thoughts?

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Bump. Thoughts anyone?

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Here is the deal. I researched the garlic cure for fish thoroughly. I found no real evidence for it doing anything other than enticing a fish to eat, which in the time of ich, is a good thing and helps boost the fishes immune system which in turn helps the fish ward off the ich. To that extent, garlic is a plus. If no sign of ich re-acclimate him back to the DT. I would still use Marine-Max in the DT to prevent disease.

11. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I got the Marine-Max so I will be dosing that in the DT. Yeah, I read the same thing about garlic but he wasn't eating in the beginning. What do you think about leaving him in there for awhile longer while I try to get rid of the cyano?

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Since he is there, you could leave him because after the cyano treatment (Red Slime Remover?) you have to do a 20% water change per instructions. When you finish the treatment and water change, add the Marine-Max and then introduce the fish back to the DT.