My DIY sump thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Oct 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I'll attach it again. I fixed the part where the hole is. My only issue now is why are my fish getting sucked into there, also when I put food in there it seems to end up in there as well. I'm starting to miss my HOB filter!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Thanks for the help. It's frustrating trying to get this dialed in on my own.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

How much flow do you have? There is no reason any healthy fish should get sucked into a return/powerhead IMO, unless the flow rate is way overboard. As far as the food, you should at least turn off your powerheads during feeding. If it is still an issue, turn off the return pump as well.

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I patched up the cut out hole that I accidentally removed from the divider in my overflow. All fish were accounted for this am! I have no clue what the flow is on my return pump. My LFS guy knew the specifics of what I was doing and gave me a pump and said "this will work" and I took it!

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

It's good to know what is's flow rating is- usually given with NO head height.

Look up the pump online

Glad things are working well

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Todd,
    model 5 utility pump e160713 listed 8c99, 115 Volts A/C 60 HZ 45 Watts 8 Amp . Does model 5 stand for 500 gallon? And what is head height? To the bottom or top of my tank where the return flows out. I'll give both measurements hopefully you reply before the forum goes down for maint. Or if anyone else can chime in as well. THANK YOU. My tank is 75gal. From floor to bottom of my tank is 36", and to the top where the overflow is 55". Here's the link to my pump PondMaster Mag-Drive - - Submersible Pumps

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

Head height is the distance from the pump output port to the highest point of the output tube. :)

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

about 5feet

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

at 5 ft or head with 2 90 degree elbows you would have 276gph.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Todd, Bio balls are OUT and 60lbs of cycled LR is in !!! I also put some macro algae/plants down in there with pods already living in there.