My DIY sump/refugium plan

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Marty, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

is your refug doing good with it? what u have in it now? the reason i ask is i have a 10 sump/refug and i dont want to spend to much on a light. i have a few clip lights at the house all i would have to do is get the bulb and i would be good to go. but i plan on puting a sponge or two in there too

2. Click Here!

3. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

mine is doing amazing, the mat of alage is so thick that you can set things on top of it and it won't sink. I can take half of it out and within a few weeks it's back to full again. I only put sand and a few rocks and the alage.

I couldn't see paying over $30 for a aquarium light when for less than $10 I have the same thing and the bulbs are cheap.

Any particular reason for the sponge? If it's for looks I wouldn't bother I haven't see the bottom of my fuge pretty much since I started it 6 months ago

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

having completely seperate tanks for the fuge and sump would work better, imop. but if your persistant on keeping this way then split the drain from the tank to the fuge and sump area, the skimmer should be in the sump area and not on the fuge side. the flow in the sump really doesnt matter, but the fuge flow should be slow. the return flow from the main pump can be used with a PO4/Si reactor.

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

lol, yea it was for looks. the bulb you have is about 120watt plant bulb or lower

6. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

This is the bulb i'm using

7. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

thank you, go out to get one now