MY DIY rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WoW!

Looking good! How long did it take for you to get coraline? I have to come back and read your post when I am not at work. Thanks for joining! :)

2. Click Here!

3. JFDJason

JFDJason Plankton

Took about 8 months or so to get.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Seems to be the same with me. Have lots of macro algae, sponges, feather dusters and such now. Love my rock, feels good knowing I made it too.

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

GARF has some great stuff on making what they call aragocrete. I am making my own rock per their recipe, so to speak.
    1 part portland cement (I used grey I/II)
    1 part crushed (coarse) aruba puka shell
    4 parts aragonite sand
    1 part plastic saw and drill shavings

water till oatmeal consistency or less.

There are some cool ways to make caves, arches, reef tables, holes in the reef rock.

I will try to get some pics up I'm actually making another batch today.

G.A.R.F. says to form them in a tub with aragonite sand and cover them with the sand while they are drying. The curing takes a while because portland cement is very alkaline and it has to be leeched of its alkalinity.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool.. sounds a lot like what I did.. start a new thread and post some pics. :)

7. Lehmann

Lehmann Plankton

Great, now that we have created rock, can anyone direct me to a DIY page on creating a money tree? HEE HEE!

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Aangename kennis :)

Or a way to explain to your neighbours, why you are making ROCKS :)

John

10. Lehmann

Lehmann Plankton

A full blooded afrikaaner man in Ausie Land. Keep in contact. 8)

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

No Sir, A German born Australian who looked a greeting in Africaans to make you feel welcome :)

John

12. Lehmann

Lehmann Plankton

Well thank you kind sir! We have Eleven official languages in our new democratic South Africa...and I can speak and write two of them...Oh well, lets leave it like that.
    Gud Day Mate!
    PS, what is the best defense against the hair algae that is popping up in my new reef set up. My Nitrates are 6 ppm Nitrogen and I had very minor Diatom and Red slime...maybe a few square inches on the sand a a few spots on the LR. I left the hair algae to develop on the back panes of the tank but I have noticed that in the very well lit areas it has started to crop up on my live rock covering the coraline growths. I do regular water changes with 4 x filtered NS water I get direct from the local aquarium, Fresh make up is R/O. All my soft corals are doing great and I recently split a colony of star polyps and they are growing like mad... Will the hair stuff eventually die off. I actually went down to the beach today and got some periwhinkles that are very hardy and live much of there lives scraping algea off hot rocks.. They seem to have taken well and are in the process of scraping the Diatom growth off the front glass. Quite interesting to watch the mouth parts rasp the ofending brown spots off...Kinda like a Kirby. AND THEY WERE FREE! (Temperate Specie, so lets see how long they can last)
    Anyway, Totsiens and Goeden Aand??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.