MY DIY rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks. Yeah that is what I am hoping too. After the next batch, I'll move them outside so my camera can get a good pic so you can see the real color.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok. Got a couple new pics, these are the first and second batch of rock. The first didn't have much sand and rubble mixed in and is bone white. The second came out darker and more realistic with sand mixed in.

[​IMG]
    [sub]1st and 2nd Batch[/sub]

[​IMG]
    [sub]MORE BUGS![/sub]

These bugs are still around! And they seem bigger than before! I think they ate the pasta sticking out of one of the rocks!  ;D

Hey the rock with the balloon turned out great! It actually popped when I drilled into it. The rock turned out really hollow. Next batch, that I am making tomorrow, I want to throw PVC pipes in the middle of them and drill into them when they are dry.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Re: MY DIY rock  - with PVC!

Alright the 3rd batch was fun. I threw in pvc after a little mix. Then poured more mix on top. ANd poured it over balloons. Those should be nice and hollow.  

[smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=afro.gif][smiley=smoking.gif] [smiley=pimp2.gif]

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok. Yesterday I drained the kiddie pool behind the house and brought the rocks into the garage.

Let's see, usual curing time is 6 weeks. I overshot that by about 4 months. ;D :eek:

I'd say these are cured. hehe. Algae was growing on them and insects had moved in.

Last week I brought a few pieces in and put them in my hex when I filled it. They look great.

Draining the pool, I separated the rock into two piles. One was finished rock, the other was rock that still looked fake.

The latter was taken in for more drilling with masonary drill bits.

The transformation was amazing.

Clumpy oatmeal changed to porous realistic looking rock.

I want to close by saying the lesson I am trying to pass along from my experience is to drill the rocks a lot. Drilling is key. Each rock should be drilled over half a dozen times to bring the shape out. Wiggle the drill bit to make the holes more natural looking.

Drilling also changed the color as cement powder was brought to the surface and rubbed in.

I used two different shaped drill bits to add variety.

I hope this helps. I am very happy with my rock.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

glad to hear the rock is coming along well gratzz

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Karla! I have some of it in my hex tank right now, looks good! I am psyched. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

ROCK UPDATE ---

Noticed a lot of people looking at this lately, so I thought I should upate it a bit.

The only rec's I'd change from earlier posts is not to add so much sand to the mix. The areas with the sand on the outside look the worst. It also makes it harder to drill.

Be prepared to add buffer to raise your alk as my rock sent the calcium levels way high and initially the pH.

Love my rock now though. 8)

Here is a more recent pic:

[​IMG]

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

looks pretty good for being homemade [glow=red, 2, 300]gratzz[/glow] ;D

just wondering is that a feather duster on the right side of the pic or just the way the rock is shaped?

hehe i didnt realize i used the gratzz thing ealier o well

also i see im almost meeting you half way in the post 800 n 1600 maby one day ill catch up to ya ;)

12. JFDJason

JFDJason Plankton

Ok I know that I am the new guy here, but I was just reading this post and would like to add a few things. I have been making rock for years with great success.  The key to this is patience...lots and lots....but in the long run you will love it.  You have the idea down just great.....the one thing that I would use is Oyster Shells.  YOu can get them at any COOP type store.  A bag of 50 pounds will run ya about $6.00.  You can make a whole hell of alot of rock with 50 pounds.  I make mine all downstairs in my laundry room...with the help of the kids.  We mix the Portland Cement and Crushed Oyster Shells together in a mixture and then get ready for placement.  I have a Large Rubbermaid tub that is filled about 3/4 way full with a fine sand.  I have the kids mold things in the sand and we place the mixture in those molds.  If you do it right you can make all sorts of different shapes with tunnels and caves.  Your use of the balloons is what we use alot because of the easy removal of them.  

We then place the cover on top of the rubbermaid container and let it sit for 48 hours.  After that stage it is time for the patience to set in.  We take the newely made rocks out and place them into a rubbermaid garbage container filled with fresh tap water.  They sit inside this container for 3 months, with the water being switched out every 4 days.  The reason for this is 2 things.....Concrete is very, very high in PH.  You have to get this down before you even think about placing these into a tank.  After the 3 months they come out and into another garbage container with saltwater and a powerhead in it.  We then start to monitor the PH by testing it before they go in, 2 days after they have been in it, and then 2 weeks after they have been in it.  If the PH is still to high go back to the first tank and continue to swap out new water everyother day.  You will eventually get the PH down to a range where they can be introduced to a tank.  

I would however recommend placing these into a tank where you can seed them.  I have a 44 gallon just for this.  Its just some rock and 3 fish, along with some live rock already.  You would hate to place on of these into a good established tank and BAMB all dead the next day.

Good luck with this and have fun doing it.  It is great.

PS:  One last thing...GLOVES are good and must be worn.  Portland Cement and skin don't go good with each other.

Here are a couple pictures of my live rock process.

First Here is the Rock with the shells...very pourus...great for things to attach to.
    [​IMG]

and another of the rock
    [​IMG]

Here is the containers that we use
    [​IMG]

And here is the tank that they go in first.
    [​IMG]

and another.
    [​IMG]

Here are 2 pictures of the rock in the good tank all covered with the good stuff.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.