My DIY Indestructable Tank Stand

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Telgar, Dec 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClamsOnDemand

ClamsOnDemand 3reef Sponsor

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I never did "skin" it, I left it just as it is there and just keep my BRS 2 part jugs under it. The sump actually lives in the closet behind the tank.
    It would be very easy to cover the sides and add a pair of doors if one wanted to.

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I really want to build my own stand. Once I decide on the size tank I want next I'll start at it.

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Nice stand. I am glad to see I am not the only person that overbuilt their stand. I used the same method and 4x4 posts as well, and my tank is only 55g.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Hey Bill, I am building a stand for my new 93g cube this week... any suggestions you have to offer?

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

what are the dimentions? I'll think it over at work today and discuss anything I think of tonight.

8. Click Here!

9. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

I can not find regular 4x4s anywhere!!!!!!!! They are all pressure treated. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware like wtf.....

10. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Also I have a AGA 125 with duel overflows, how wide and long can I make the tank if im going with plywood on the top, im wondering if Ill be able to go with the 40 breeder which is 18 in just like the 125. which means the tank would need to be 26 in wide, but the 125 sides would not be sitting directly in the 4x4s i think think that with the plywood it would help spread the weight evenly, but my dad says otherwise. So if someone could chime in

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Over a 1000lbs of weight and you are going to trust the plywood to hold it without flexing? I weigh a little over 200lbs myself, and I can make 3/4 inch plywood flex just by walking on it. I wouldn't do it if it were my stand.

12. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

I built 2 using Telgars plans....the only way to build a good solid stand!!!