My DIY Fuge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Michaelr5, Sep 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

You sure spent a lot of time on that! Looks great!!! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed! Looking forward to seeing it lit up.
    How did you hold the baffles in place to set the glue?

4. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks guys, I am pleased with the way it turned out myself.

I actually did it piece meal. I put the two walls of the return and the 3 pieces of the baffles up first. The center one sat on a block of wood. Just made sure they were sort of square and let them cure. Then put the baffle wall and end piece, let them cure, then the divider wall and end piece where the skimmer is. Letting each group cure 2 hours made them sturdy enough to hold the next section. I do need to work on my silicone skills though, I have a lot of trim work to do! ;D

Mike

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Blocks of wood eh? Cool.. I was curious about that. I used bricks to hold the baffles on my sump.

6. Michaelr5

Well it passed the leak test with flying colors (or is that with flowing water? LOL) Put the skimmer into it's spot and installed the media box. I was originally going to make a tower out of acrylic, but I found this locking top storage container that snuggled right in place. Cut the bottom out for a piece of eggcrate, hole in the top for entry, add a piece of foam for mech. filtration and it's good to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Very nice! Well done. That container worked great! 8)

8. Click Here!

9. Michaelr5

Well it's in place at last!!! :guitarist :drummer:

Here is I think the first full pic I have ever put up of my tank:
    [​IMG]

And Rocky insisted I put a picture of him up:
    [​IMG]

This right now is the best piece of rock I have, I like the little critters on it (some kind of worms I assume?)
    [​IMG]

Oh yea, this is about my fuge project! Here is what I was going for.

This is with the doors closed, only see the Fuge portion.
    [​IMG]

And open the right door and all the mechanicals are here (little tighter than I had hoped)
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the one thing I didn't count on was my media box floating! I guess I'll put a couple small pieces of LR in the bottom to hold it down. I also went to 3/4" on my return pipe and spray bar, that dramatically improved the return flow. In fact at full flow the overflow box surges and it sounds like Darth Vader with a bad chest cold! I reduced the flow right now and it is quiet, but I will have to resolve that.

I am probably get some of the pool bottom grunge from Premium Aquatics for my fuge. Do you think I will need to cure it before putting it in my fuge? I live about 40 minutes away so it would be going straight from their cured pools to my fuge in about an hour? I also need to find someone with some chaeto around here.

Mike

Attached Files: