My DIY frag rack

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Dasco, May 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I have used them and depending on the model and tank they range from really strong to not so strong :) I've used them since the came out on the market.

Good to know, thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

This is a great idea! I've been looking for a frag holder and I saw this thread and this is just what I need. I have an extra mag-float from my old 120g and I happen to have some extra eggcrate left over so this is perfect. Thanks!:cheesy:

4. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

Nice idea and yours looks really good.

I've been using these magnets

K&J Magnetics - Products

and supergluing them to the eggcrate. My club does group buys occasionally so they become reasonably priced. Even without the group buy, you still get a very strong frag rack. You need 4 for a straight rack and I've seen several corner designs where you use 6. These magnets are super strong. They hold each other through my hand.

If you like those make sure you buy the plastic coated and not the rubber ones. The rubber ones work, but it's harder to move the rack cause they tend to stick to the tank.

Don't mind to steal your thread. Sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds. But your rack made me think of em.

5. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

no prob, i made this just as a temp rack for frags but i have never taken it down. I just keep gettin new frags to put of it.

6. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

looks good and nice frags

7. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

ya that pic was from 5 months ago, they dont look like that anymore.

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Well Dasco it took me about 20 minutes to cut the eggcrate find a tiedown and get the mag-float all together. I must say this was a grand idea! Check out the pictures, I'm going to get my son to help me put it on the back wall!:cheesy:

Attached Files:

10. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

Ya! sweet man. Looks great. pretty much as easy as it gets, and works great.

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

This is a good idea IMO , as it also helps with light aclimatation with new coral frags
    you can start them lower down and then move up as required, depending on the species and your target final location on reef structure

obviously not a great idea if there are existing corals on the rack and then you lower them all to accomodate a new one, but if you purchase 2 or 3 frags at same time, one of these devices could be very usefull

Steve

12. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly