My "deli sliced" Reef Cleaners rock scape :)

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by OnefishTwofish, May 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

I just cant wait to see the structure(s) all softened up and brought to life with coralline, and corals...it will be the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned :)

2. Click Here!

3. OnefishTwofish

there sure is:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/onefishtwofishs-50g-breeder-upgrade-85972.html

and thank you for the kind words.....!

My inspirations for this idea:
    i am an architectural designer and was always inspired by the works of Frank Lloyd Wright, particularly his famous "Falling Water" residence. I also LOVE the look of zen rock gardens.

In addition, I am an old-school YES fan - Roger Dean is the artist who did all their album art back in the day (Google his stuff - its amazing)...

I am hoping to come up with something that reflects a little of the above!

1 person likes this.
  4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

good job! did you obtain a building permit for that? lol

K+

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Nice work Elizabeth!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

sweet!
    I definately want to try something like this with my next tank.
    How thick did you have them sliced?

1 person likes this.
  7. OnefishTwofish

They range in thickness from roughly 1-3 inches, the base pieces were closer to 3 because I took my intended sand bed depth and my burrowers and diggers into consideration - that gives them plenty of safe stable burrow space.

The gentleman who cut them for me knew what he was doing for sure. He just slowly pushed the rock through the commercial wet saw. The nice part about it was that even if a slice crumbled a little, i saved it to use as rubble elsewhere :)

The commercial wet saw had roughly 8" height clearance - so be sure to work that out with your local rock cutter when the time comes.

I was amazed, he was able to cut rocks lengthwise too so I got that nice variation in shape. You can use a small chisel and hammer to break them into smaller pieces as needed while still having two flat sides for stacking.

I really hope others try this! It gives you a different way to work with your rock, it solves the whole "never enough" shelf rock out there problem too but best of all gives you a super safe stable base for whatever rock scape you build on top of it.

good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. OnefishTwofish

Ha! ....at least I didnt need a full blown property line variance hearing....
    This definitely takes you back to your Lego days :)

Thanks for the laugh and kind words!

1 person likes this.
  10. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

It looks amazing, When it is filled wtih coraline and coral it will look by far one of the best structures ive seen in a long time!

1 person likes this.
  11. OnefishTwofish

Thanks so much, I am a great admirer of your tanks. I definitely cannot wait to breathe life into this structure when i swap my tanks out. a couple more weeks and she should be ready to go :)

the topmost rocks wont be added until it is safely set down into the tank and the sandbed is put in....it is going to be tricky enough slipping it through the top cross bar as it is, but i checked it and it works. Then I will add a some other planned aquascape goodies - but not until then.

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

So Elizabeth, I read you ordered a bunch of rock from John but (maybe I'm missing it) just how much? And how much do you guesstimate you have leftover?
    I'm gonna copy your idea and start a new build by the end of the summer I think. My wife doesn't know it yet and she'll be overjoyed at the news I'm sure. LOL I've been thinking it over since reading it for the first time last night and the scaping possibilities are so limitless.