my daughters new set up

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by ziggy222, Aug 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

it started with a 1yr old 10 gallon tank with a skilter which never worked and switched to an aquaclear filter ,28watt pc light ,a plenum ,and small heater,some lr and mushrooms.
    led light on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    when my daughter rhiannon became more interested,i decided to set it up just like my reef ready 55 gallon.i got a stand that holds 2, 10 gallon tanks,one over the other.i got a new 10 gallon tank and busted the bottom out and replaced it with a half inch thick acrylic,the regular 10 gallon tanks will not hold together if drilled.i drilled and installed the bulk heads through the acrylic bottom.i ran 1 inch drain and half ich return driven by a Quietone 220 gph pump.picture-
    nano peices on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    nano on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    her light was'nt good enough so i used 2 LED retro panels,time will tell if i should of fit in a 3rd.in her display i used a half inch of aragonite and added all her lr an mushrooms,gave her some xenia,and bought her some fire and ice zoos today put in after the picture.for her sump i used her old display with the plenum in it cause the plenum worked so well,i did'nt want to disturb it.i gave her a hunk of chaetto from my sump and put her old 28watt pc over it and her heater.her new corals are'nt in this picture and everything is still adjusting to the new LED lights.
    nano on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    i'll post a better photo after the corals adjust.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Looks pretty already! :)

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

That is really a nice job. Good work!

(I think many of us went the "skilter route" when first starting out. Only really cheap skimmer out there at the time. Unless you modded it, it was pretty worthless. But kept me going for 1st year or so)

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

thanks guys.i wish i could of bought it reef ready cause it was hard work,but my daughter appriciates it more seeing all the hard work i put into it for her.i wish the fish store gave me the same prices that they give her on corals lol.they asked if the coral was for me or her before knocking off $40 lol.of course not many 11yr olds are into reefs.

1 person likes this.
  6. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

+ karma great tank!!!!

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

perty! do you have to target feed them?(i know nothing of corals, but am learning)

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

no but you can if you want to help them grow better.i know that they eat fine cyclopeze if you spray it at them with a turkey baster.