My cycle is going faaaast!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SwimsWithFish, Jan 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

So I added a shrimp to my 29 8 days ago. Over the course of about 4 days the ammonia raised to 1.0 and then leveled. My current params at 8 days are ammonia 1, nitrite 5. Is this normal? Seems fast. And amok didn't rise too high. Hmm.

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

it just depends on so many factors it is hard to say

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did you use live rock?

Did you use any additives?

Do you have nitrates?

As posted above too many variables come into play. As you already know the initial cycle does not challenge your biological filter once the shrimp or what ever organic material you used is gone. The population of those beneficial bacteria will wax and wane as you add live stock and loose live stock. Hence the reason one should stock slowly and allow time for those nutrifying bacteria to catch up.

My tank has been set up for 4 years, the biological filter would not be able to keep up if I suddenly added 4 fish and their required feedings. Granted it's a small tank but you get the idea.

5. SwimsWithFish

It's 100% dry rock. Not sure about nitrates, should I test for them to see? No additives.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would just to see.

If you used 100% rock and no additives I would not even start to think about it being cycled or close to it.

You may have to add more organic matter to decay to keep the bacteria growing.

7. SwimsWithFish

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be a quikie. I'll go ahead and test and add some food to the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

spunds like a normal timeline. its been 8 days. Your still having readings of Ammonia of 1 you wrote, which is quite high, and nitrites being at 5. Thismeans your still doing your cycle, maybe half way done. If using all dry rock and no additives it should take a lil longer than normal for the cycle to complete.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I wouldn't say you are even half way yet. You are still getting readings for ammonia even with the high nitrites. You are on the right track, but you are just over a week now. I would say plan on another 3 weeks. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. SwimsWithFish

[​IMG]

Alright trates are either 5 or 10.

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would go with a 10 on that one.