My cree led build.(Updated LED pics 4/30/13 pg 8)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jkat21, Jun 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks a lot...I can't belive how my temp has droped from 80 ish down to. A solid 77 with out the canopy/halides...

2. Click Here!

3. skyline377

skyline377 Astrea Snail

Hi new here just started the same tank and just wanted to say great build!!!!!!!:cheesy:

4. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

I LOVE THIS BUILD!!!! sick ! Looks so bought! i have a 72 bow and this just made me want to DIY this too! do you think 36 leds will be enough???

what was your cost in total?

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Thank you for the kind words..make sure to post pics of your build.welcome to the bowfront world..lol
    Thank you very much,it took me awhile but well worth it so far..as for the number leds.as evolved said in his thread,you need 48 leds(usually one blue to one white)..this what I am using with dim ballast.I also emailed rapid and they suggested the same..more than 48 ish will burn your corals..as of cost hmmmmmmm. Prob 800-900 ish..I had to buy everything,I had no tools,wire etc..but had the help of my father inlaws shop for the cutting and drilling..good luck..

6. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Thanks for that yeah it gets hard if you dont have the tools but i own a mechanic shop with everything needed which is huge plus lol so 48 leds i was think 36.. what size heat sink did you use? and does it cause a shadow because of the center brace?

7. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Yip I would go 48 led`s(you can always dim down).if you need more input email rapid led direct for any questions( I did)..as of a shadowing from the center brace it will depend on height of fixture(s)/space of leds on heatsink..my heatsinks are 6"wide x 17"long..if I go to high or to low yes it will cause a shadow..you will have to find the sweet spot..I have not measured the height of my fixtures at this time..well HTH..

8. Click Here!

9. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Well just an update..its been about a week so far and I have to say so far so good..elegance closed for a day or two(not uncommon for it when my mag drops which it did),but otherwise corals/clam seem to be liking the new lights..

10. skyline377

skyline377 Astrea Snail

11. ryancmatchett

ryancmatchett Plankton

following along...any updates? Good job on the build!!

12. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks..

No pics but I have just done a short video.I have been slacking off on this thread..lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY-Wvl4bFz4