My cree led build.(Updated LED pics 4/30/13 pg 8)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jkat21, Jun 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Lol, yeah evolved, I think your build thread was the very first one I ever read. Back when I didnt even realize people built their own LED lights. I was just in the process of trying to get familiar with LEDs to do some other projects I had in mind, and then I got into Saltwater and stumbled upon your thread and I was like "SOLD!". I've been itching to build one ever since.

Thanks for the tip Matt, I always usually ignore those tags lol.

4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks, its coming along..as Matt said there are a lot more threads you can read through...Evolved`s build is a great read...between Evolved and night rida they got me into the DIY led thing...

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

UPDATE... got all the wiring hooked up dimmer box is all done also got some acrylic cut up today to start the outer fixture..with some luck I will get at least one fixture done by next week(busy w/work)...Thanks all..

6. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Cant wait to see what you do with the acrylic. I assume you are going to build some sort of "box" to go around the outside to help with light spill and make it more pleasing to the eye?

Also not to jack the thread, but some of you guys were discussing the amount of leds to use. Most people I see are running 4 foot tanks. I have a 65 gallon (36x18x24) that I am going to be doing my own led build on. I have NO idea how many leds to use. At first I thought maybe 24 (12 blue, 12 white rapid kit) but now I'm wondering if I need 36? I dont wanna hang it higher than 12 inches above the tank.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Definitely 36 over 24. 12 inches will be a bit of a challenge as you'll have to use 80deg optics to get decent coverage, but you'll sacrifice a bit on penetration at the bottom of the tank; might not be enough to matter depending on what your intentions are.

8. Click Here!

9. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i can't wait to see thing baby in action the more people that do it themselfs the better. James

10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

well I had some time today and did some more work on the fixture..coming along good so far..still need to get the aluminum to go around the side..(the kind they use for radiator covers),and will need some paint..or might redo it with black acrylic ..but this is what I had already laying around..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and we had one casualty my dog snacked on one of my optics think cree will donate a free one lol....
    [​IMG]

11. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Had some time today..pretty much got one fixture done..will post pics tom..

12. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Well have one of the two fixtures all done,just have to mount the hanhing kit but otherwise one is done...dont mind the last pic it looks a little off on one side,but its just that the top wasnt tight cause i still had some fan wiring to do....heres some pics enjoy..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.