My coral looks bad

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Leesa, Apr 13, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Okay!!!!!! I'll stop. I am finding that this is a hobby that I want to pursue and that it takes patience to learn to do it without harming innocent animals. I have read a little bit on the subject but I really enjoy and actually learn better from having people explain things to me. The only problem with that is that my resources are limited to two fish stores here in Knoxville, TN and that my info is only as reliable as the people that I have been getting it from. Another thing that I am finding is that the info is not consistent, so of course I have taken what I wanted to hear and gone with that.

I have never participated in a forum such as this one and I am afraid I will drive everyone here crazy with questions. I do want to learn to do this right and I appreciate the imput that I have gotten so far.

To answer the question about specific values of my alkalinity -- I don't know because the test kit that I have only has colors, not values. Again, I am sure that there is one available that is more specific and I might need to obtain it. I got the one that was recommended to me by the store that I have been going to since I set up my tank. Unfortunately, the store from which I obtained my set-up (sans protein skimmer) has since gone out of business -- imagine that.

One more question: I have been adding the following supplements on a weekly basis:

7.5 ml of Strontium
    7.5 ml of Kent Essential Elements
    7.5 ml of Iodine
    18 ml of B-Ionic #1
    18 ml of B-Ionic #2.

10 ml of DT’s phytoplankton 2 x weekly.

Is this what you would recommend? If not, then what.

Thanks again,
    Leesa

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey Leesa, (thanks for joining! :) )

Until you have a bunch of corals soaking up that stuff, you probably don't need to dose that much.

Do you have any pics of the polyp coral and your tank you could upload directly here or link to from the member gallery? [smiley=wink3.gif]

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Your not the only one with this problem several people go through this. I have myself when i started there were 2 places sold saltwater, and after dead fish and a couple hunderd dollars later found there advice wasnt the best. I found most of my info off of boards like this and thats when i finally ended up with a tank. Also i now go to 2 stores one is 45 min the other 1 1/2 hours away but its worth it.

You are going to get conflicting advice, all tanks are run different, or this one changed this or that. Every tank is different and as far as what you do depends on what works best for the tank. One main thing everybody will tell you though is finish the cycle and have patience

thats what the boards for ask away

As far as test kits there are so many out there but the one i use is by aquarium pharmacuticles. Its more of the inexpensive kits but very easy to use and always seems acurate with the fish store whenever they tested the water. you can get the saltwater master kit, includes ( ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, alkalinity). For calcium i use seahem calcium test kit.

As far as your supplements i agree with matt you can back off untill you get a reef going. Your phytoplankton is mostly used for filter feeders. I would check the ingredients on your kents essential elements they may already contain the strontium and iodine that you are also adding. If it does you may be dosing twice.

since you are limited to where you can buy your fish some things to help you get healthy fish that you can do are

1. research fish - find out as much info before buying (feeding, full size, reccomended tank size, compatability, aggressiveness, hardiness, level of care, special requirements)

2. look at fish over all - color, fins, active or not, ask to see it eat, look for cuts, unusaul marks, weird swimming patterns

3. ask if they quarenteen or if they would quarenteen for you, or have a q tank set up for your self, one sick fish can wipe out a whole tank

some fish if wild caught will not eat in captivity, dont just look to see if its fat or not some fish look ok from the top. some fish can starve and look normal because you have to look at there stomachs underneath. Some types of fish if not eating will have caved in stomachs. ones known for this are
    mandarins, scooters, lawnmower blennies, and some other bottom dewlling gobies

it sounds like a lot but its not as bad as it sounds just a lot of info is all

5. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to update you on my tank. Everything is staying okay. The button polyp is beginning to look healthy all over. The stalks that were white are again turning a normal color with green in the center and the cilia are growing back.

I do have an aiptasia anemone. I did not know what it was until I was browsing (not buying) in the LFS. I described the thing that is in my tank to him and he told me what it is and that it is not a wanted invert. He also said that I could kill it by injecting it with pure B-Ionic Alkalinity solution but that it might take a couple of treatments to get rid of it. I am planning to do that tomorrow (I don't have a syringe today).

Otherwise, my water parameters are stable, my one fish and crabs and snails are alive, algae is rampant :( , and the coraline algae seems to be spreading.

Hopefully, when we get the right type of silacone, we can finish building our sump and add a protein skimmer. Then, maybe I can actually make a purchase at the LFS once again.
    Leesa