My completely worthless DIY Skimmer

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by artrichter001, Dec 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the euro-reef recirulating models produce excellent bubble rates with a needle wheel. and your design looks almost the same. i use the cs8-rc, no need for an air pump, when using one with an air pump the pumps life is minimized. learned that the hard way. if you were to use a venturi with an air pump i dont know what the outcome would be.
    Euro-Reef

2. Click Here!

3. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Thanks guru. Just one question: Do I have to chage the pump I use to have a needlewheel? Can I just change the pump's impeller to a needlewheel impeller? If so, where can a Iget one? Some people cut their impellers to simulate needlewheels. Do you recommend it? Thanks again and sorry for all these questions!

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

you can make a mesh mod. i dont know how to do it but it can be done.

5. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Thanks for the Idea aquaboy! I found a relatively good link to doing a mesh mod: DIY Thread Wheel

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

there might be some small modifications made for the needle wheel. if you goto the euro-reef website they have alot of parts and extra pieces to play with.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

It looks like it would be a great ozone injector if it doesnt start skimming.

10. xi-guy

xi-guy Plankton

Hey,

Nice build...

Was just wondering how you tested the skimmer. You said sump. I hope it was a protein laden, gunky, need a skimmer ASAP sump, because, when I first fired up my turbofloter in fresh water, no bubbles, no skimmate nothing. But once it was in my rock curing tub, it worked like a champ.

Anyhow, if you have micro bubbles up to the neck, try some of these suggestions before messing with the impeller

Try cutting down the neck size. My turbofloter came with two, and when I used the shorter one, I got much more bubbles flowing into the cup, (that 1/2 inch makes a difference)

I would also add an air valve attached to a 1/4 in tube (like the ones that come with most powerheads to control bubbles) to the air intake. If you restrict some air, more water actually flows into the body, increasing the overall height of the bubbles....it also comes in handy fine tuning your skimmate, when its too watery or dry.

Things I'd try without f-ing with the impeller.

GL

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Skimmers do not work in Fresh water. Must be saltwater.

J

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  12. xi-guy

xi-guy Plankton

Hey JM,

I was illustrating the point that even if it was salt water, if it was brand spanking new no skimmate would form because of lack of suspended matter/protein.

I was simply asking if he tested his skimmer on an aged system without stating the obvious.

So what do you think about my other two suggestions.

Heck of a lot easier than an impeller mod.