My completely worthless DIY Skimmer

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by artrichter001, Dec 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yes It looks like thing should work. I would try a needle wheel as suggested by RG.

Kent make a Venturi you could also try. It's relatively cheap

2. Click Here!

3. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

I can adjust the water level using the ball valve on the water exit vertical tube. The more I close It, the higher the water level in the skimmer chamber...

4. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

I will definately try to get one of these Kent Venturis. I decided to construct mine because it is very difficult if not impossible to find decent accesories here in Mexico. Hope they ship down here.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

sounds like your good to go. again try either a needle wheel or a different venturi to get more bubbles. the needle wheel will produce more bubbles. then when you get bored you can put another pump on the other side to make even more bubbles.

6. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

I've seen people who cut up their impellers inside the powerhead to (badly) simulate needle wheel effect. They just make little cuts in the impeller to chop up bubbles. Do you think this will work?

7. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

hi I would try to put a air pump strait onto your venturi fitting ( with plastic hose )
    turbocharge that sucker.
    should be able to pick up a nice cheapy for 5$

8. Click Here!

9. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Good idea waste! I'm doing that today.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

your gonna need a real strong air pump for that one. silicone the area around the connections so no blow by happens.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

+1 on the Kent. Worth a try for the price. Although it is quite long so you'd have to rework your pump fittings a bit.

12. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It will work the way you have it but for the most effective bubbles your pump should have the intake coming from your overflow, your bubble amount should increase and the water level (froth) will be higher. The output of the pump is at a good level, you want the foamy mixture to be able to rise to the top. Everything else is fine. If you put an air pump on your venturi you will reduce your foam output. I have learned this from experience.