My clowns just laid eggs

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by fletch, Dec 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I think I have about 10 or 15 maby more baby clowns in my sump they are swimming around in the refugium part of the sump but there are also some in the part with my skimmer. Do you think that there are some naturally forming rotifers in the sump that they are eating? I am not positive yet if they are baby clowns but there are a couple that are a little bigger than the rest and they have a faint orange color to them.................. John

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Post a pic, only time will tell.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oooohhh, I am so excited to find out!!!! ::)

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

sound like clown fry to me.....they dont develope stripes for a while. If you have a mature sump with loads of microfauna they could possibly survive....ild try the first bites and baby brine if you can target them. Thats got to be exciting John! Good luck bro, if you get them to eat you have passed the hardest step by far.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Craig I would take a picture for you but they are quite small yet and my camera sucks at macro shots.

Sea_Splender My sump has been set up for around 10 months it has Crushed coral substrate some small pieces of LR a lot of Grape Caulerpa Algae in it and loads of pods. Hopefully there is also microfauna.

Birdlady I am also excited to find out and I will defiantly keep everyone updated.

I did reply to Craig's request for a photo before but it appears it was lost when the forum was updated............ John

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well all I figured out what is swimming around in my tank and refugium, it's not baby clown fish :'( it is Mysis shrimp I found a picture of them on this web sight.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/kritter2.html

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  10. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    dude thats a bad one. i hope you have better luck next time. i also have that book and its great. the only thing is that the fish/anemone combination is a little skewd, but over all its great for tactics on breeding

11. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=mushroom_man link=board=Fish;num=1103670556;start=30#37 date=02/11/05 at 10:56:16] fish/anemone combination is a little skewd, but over all its great for tactics on breeding[/quote]

what book...? yould be suprised at what clowns will accept os a host......sorry to hear of that fletch, bummer. THink of it this way...if they lay eggs consistantly youre bound to get viable fry eventually. Practice can make near perfect... ;)

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=SeA_SpLeNdEr link=board=Fish;num=1103670556;start=30#38 date=02/11/05 at 11:09:52]
    what book...? [/quote]

I think he is refering to Clownfishes By Joyce Wilkerson