My clown breeding steup

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by heheshamon, Sep 22, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I was told when I brought my clown that it was a black I just laughed and said whatever!!!
    It was $30 CAN and I just liked the look of him and his size.
    If he is black then he must have the real weak DNA strain LOL

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Yours actually looks like a true percula.

4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I read somewhere that the telltail sign for true precs is in the dorsal fins the number of spines or somthing is that right?

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The only for sure to know which is which is to know where they came from. Western pacific is percula, easter pacific is occellaris. The number of spines overlap, so you cant go by that alone. Thrue black and whites and black and white. Occellaris black and whites have the orange face. True perculas have a lot of black with no regular pattern with the black, like yours.

6. footballdude2k3

footballdude2k3 Bristle Worm

any update of the black and whites mating?

7. mpedersen

mpedersen Plankton

There's an eye-ring color thing that's used by many people - orange in percs, dark in ocellaris. After looking at a LOT of pictures and my own fish, I can "see" it. So the "black" fish above looks like an ocellaris, and in ocellaris there is the regular orange nemo, the "black" from Darwin which is ALL BLACK, as well as misbars, nakeds etc.

The fish you pictured above is actually rather peculiar. At first glance it looks entirely very similar to an "Onyx" Percula, yet to me, it clearly screams ocellaris. No one I'm aware of has come to the table with a definitive hybrid of the normal orange Ocellaris crossed with the Black Darwin Ocellaris, but that certainly could be what you have if I were to simply imagine what that cross might look like (although for the record, I have been told by breeders, again no pictures, but told that Black X reg produces basically all regs, yet have read otherwise). Confound that with the rather "curious" case of my "Halfblack" Ocellaris (see image links below)

Message - My Photo Gallery

(BTW, I'm having trouble visiting those links myself...seems they won't open the first time, but then refreshing the new window seems to make the page load)

Now, in this case, the "halfblacks" are actually the Black Ocellaris (Darwin Ocellaris) that had not developed their full black AND had been fed a diet high in astaxanthin (red pigment). We though they may have been genetic mutations, but after 2-3 months in my SPS reef tank they were fully black and went on to recently start breeding (I returned them to the original owner as I already have a pair of blacks). Your clown is clearly NOT a "black" that hasn't fully colored, and the tipoff for me is that my blacks did not develop the black dorsal margin coloration whereas yours has.

So my opinion, and it's only an opinion, is that you either have a really interesting color variation / mutation on your hands, or you possibly have a hybrid between the two most common varieties of Amphiprion ocellaris. There's another possibility too, you could actually have a "Percularis" on your hands (ocellaris X percula).

8. Click Here!

9. heheshamon

heheshamon Astrea Snail

Hello everyone havn't been on here for ages just an update clowns are breeding every 3 weeks or so except in the winter months????

Havn't got round to getting any juvinilles yet as so busy at work :(

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Congratulations on them breeding. Best of luck on getting them into the growing stages! :)

11. godinuser

godinuser Plankton

12. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

blast from the past!!