My closeloop system, need help!!!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by turbo4603, Mar 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks Otty, i just cleared some of my pms out!

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

Well guys, i just finished talking to my freind in the LFS, he is scared of drilling the tank. He says he only does it with no water, and laying down. I know he will lend me his stationary drill, and the diamond bits to do it. I have drilled a couple of holes before, but on not so important stuff and on a vertical surface.. WHAT DO I NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR?????
    His drill has a gigantic suction cup, and has a litle lever wich moves the bit down and up. Should i use some sort of lubricant? Once i get the holes settled, then ill purchase the pumps and the OM.

4. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

For lubricant you can use water or antifreeze.But i would not use antifreeze considering your drilling the tank with inhabitants in it. Regular water is fine. When i drilled my hole i used water and grit but since you have a diamond bit you dont need the grit.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I drilled all 8 of my holes on a vertical surface because it is hard to get a 7' tank on its end. All I done was apply 3 in 1 oil to the bit and then keep adding a little just above where I was drilling and let it run down to the drill. Took me about 1/2 hr. per hole because I took my time so the bit wouldn't get hot. Just make sure right before you get through you hold a thick towel with a lot of pressure on the opposit side to keep the glass from chipping when the bit goes through. Take your time and let the bit do the drilling not your elbow grease..;D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not really I use a 3. inch section of clear PVC pipe about 6 inch's long and that is blanked off with a wafer test cap and I use press tape on the open end around the rim I use press tape , it comes in rolls and we use it on A/C low side lines to the evap. coil and on chillers . But that makes the gasket I invert the pipe to trap air and then put the caped Bulk head in that pipe then set it in place and have someone to hold it tight and drill from the outside when you break through the pressure keeps it tight in place and leak proof pull the bulk head through the hole and tighten the shank nut and remove the 3 inch pipe / cover then do what you need until finished with the plumbing the remove plug or cap from the new bulkhead .. It can be normal ABS or PVC I made mine from clear ..cause I had clear..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. turbo4603

Okay, thanks for the direction guys. Im going to talk to my freind so i can pick up the drill and the bit. Ima use 3-in-1 oil, and just be very careful it dont go into the tank. Im going to take my time, and PRAY to God nothing goes wrong. Then im going to, like Otty said, Apply pressure on the opposite side with a rug or a towel, so glass doesnt chip. Im not gonna apply any pressure, ima let the drill do all the work. Im also going to remove problably around 50 gallons of water to do this, that means that ima have around 70 gal of water in the tank, Plus sand and rocks. Pretty funny, i never get nervouse about anything, and i actually feel tickles in my stomach about this one.

8. Click Here!

9. turbo4603

Okay, so im going to needing a 1" bulkhead, so ima be doing my holes of 1 3/4", CORRECT???

10. turbo4603

I just called petsolution to see when they recieve more Little giant 4MDQX-SC pumps, and they said the 19th of this month. They have the best prices on them, but i dont think i can wait that long!!

11. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Be VERY VERY careful with the 3in1 as you have livestock. I would only use it if I were 100% sure NONE would get in the water. Even then I would probably still use water. A diamond bit does just fine with water. Just a word of caution. The most important part is going slow just like Otty said, let the bit do the work, and have some one else spray plenty of water while drilling.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The oil in the tank harms nothing and all you need to do is some windex and a paper towel and its all clean. When I've drilled full tanks there was a slight oil slick/haze but it harmed nothing I use cooking oil also like Wesson vegetable oil. People spaze about stuff that needs little worry I use windex to clean my tanks all the time have been for yrs using it no harm I don't shoot it in the tank trying to see what would happen either though I just spray the outsides LOL But if the system is healthy the little ammonia should be broken right down.

1 person likes this.