My closeloop system, need help!!!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by turbo4603, Mar 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

thats a tuff one. over the top setups can be hard on pumps. what kind of budget are you working with? and is this for the 125?

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i know over the top is hard, but it's going to be too difficult to move, drill and place bulkhead on my established 125. i really don't have a budget but i m definitely looking for an econamical way to resolve this. shoot me some recommendations pleazzzz!!!!!!!!!

4. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Well something else to consider is the GPH that your overflows can handle. You dont want to exceed the overflows gph you want to try and match it. Remeber that you have have some loss from your pump when you plumb it.
    -Jordan

5. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

okay, i plan to place into my tank a T with two strainers type things in the sides and i whant it to be 2" big. Then ima fill up the tubes with water before turning the pump on.The T is gonna be inside the tank and the its gonna feed the pump directly. Or does anybody have a better idea!!!!

6. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

im trying to but im not just going to through out a # untill i can find out what your expecting as an end result. im asking certain questions for a reason so i can get a better idea of what your trying to do

7. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

a closed loop will have no effect on the over flow. water is pulled out of the tank into the pump and then back into the tank never seeing the over flow

8. Click Here!

9. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

ok now we are getting some where;D

you want the feed pipe to be two inches, great you have a lot of pump choices. let me go look at some pump specs. and ill be right back

10. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Ahh wasent paying attention! I was thinking of a return line from an over flow. sorry...

11. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

this pump will give you 20x turnover Sequence ReefFlow Snapper Pump - 2500gph - 98 watts: Premium Aquatics

this pump will give you 29x turnover Sequence ReefFlo Dart Water Pump 3600gph: Premium Aquatics

they both have 2" inlet feeds and both draw low watts.

what i would do is have one 2"pipe going into the tank right in the center between the overflows. have it run all the way down to the bottom of the tank. at the bottom place a 2" T fitting with strainers on both ends. then half way up the back of the tank place a 2" 4 way fitting with 2 more strainers on the open ends. this will help slow down the amount of water being sucked in through the strainers so you dont kill fish, shrimp ect....

then go up over the top with one 2" elbow then to another 2"T ant the top of the T you will put a cap that you can unscrew to prime the pump. the down to the pump. just before the pump you want a ball valve then a union.

then come out of the pump with 1 1/2" pvc another union and ball valve, up to the top of the tank to a 1 1/2" T, across the back of the tank still 1 1/2". put 1 1/2" T(in the middle) an elbows(on the ends) where you want your water nozzles. reduce the pipe size down after the T and elbows to what ever you want and point then where you want

1 person likes this.
  12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Turbo,
    Try this link: Oceans Motions :: View Forum - WaterPix There is a lot of good layout here and in the forum is a place where you can ask Paul some questions about your flow, you can even call him, he is very helpful. One thing he told me was instead of just blasting a lot of water in the tank you want to create a CCW flow towards the OF boxes. I created my OF box big enough to house 2 Durso standpipes and 2 feeds to my closed loop pumps. That way I keep large debris that floats around the tank getting caught in my OM or pumps. When power goes off and the pumps restart, there is enough volume of water in my OF box to accommodate feed to the pumps until the water is filling up the box again. I put egg-crate on the top of the OF box so I didn't have any restrictions of water flow. It looks like a Niagara Falls when they all kick on.;D I will try and shoot a video and post it for you. I wish you luck in your design. I took about 3 people suggestions and incorporated them into 1.

1 person likes this.