My Chinese 120W LED's Review thread! Lowered the lights, post #192

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I'm not sure what your plan is for dimming but the difference between dimmable and not is usually a difference in the driver. I believe in order to make it dimmable the drivers need to be changed.

2. Click Here!

3. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Think I answered that already but thanks anyway :)

4. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

Sorry. I didn't see that.. If you tried it, would you replace the drivers? Have you opened them and looked inside yet?

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm not taking mine apart, at least not any plans on it anyways.

Thanks to all who complimented my FTS's. As usual, it's a work in progress. It's about ten months for me now.

6. windowlicker

windowlicker Astrea Snail

i bought the exact same fixtures for my dt and my frag tank. i have 3 over my 125 and i replaced my old school canopy with 4 t-12 vho bulbs in it. and a 4 bulb t-5 over my frag tank and the leds are way nicer. my lights are around 12 inces above the water as im slowely aclimating my corals to the light i have been seeing sps growth and great cororation. cant beat them for the price even though i paid $176 each for my 4

7. windowlicker

windowlicker Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks for your experience.

Your tank looks great! My 125 has one center piece on top, not two. It would be right in the middle of a third center light. I realize you have yours at 12in. high. With my two, I've got a hanger thats got them at 8inches over the DT surface. Seems to be working well. I had some newer PC's (which are actulaly pretty bright btw) that were two inches over my DT.
    My corals seem to be taking to the LED's at 8in. just fine.

Thanks again for your experience- and again, nice tank!

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Another thing that just dawned on me. Depending on where I bought the PC's replacment bulbs every year, they will pay for thmeselves in 1-2 years, factoring in no bulb replacements. The reduced wattage $$, icing on the cake.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I hate to say I told you so Todd, but I told you so. :p PCs are somewhat technology of the past. Nowhere near as efficient and expensive in the long run. Im glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. The tank is looking great by the way.

12. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

I'm starting to see the dimmable version of these on Ebay as well. Any concerns that the dimmable version may have problems with the dimming capabilities added?