My Chinese 120W LED's Review thread! Lowered the lights, post #192

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Some one PM'd about a frontal FTS, well, it's kinda hard to do, and it's with my Iphone4- not exactly what a camera buff would call a camera, but here are some of the same shots. I tried to take my window glare out.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Looking really good. =) What isn't made in China today?

On another note, I'd be willing to bet you could put together a dimmer.

4. Havasuviking

Havasuviking Plankton

I am guessing that 2 would be sufficient for a standard 90?

5. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks for the shots Todd_sails!! I appreciate it. I don't think anyone here will pass judgment on those shots ;). Great looking tank!

I went to a LFS that I've never been to today and to my surprise there were two of these over a 125!!! It was sweet to see them in person so I can have a better idea of what to expect and positioning options (since I just ordered two ;)! ) With my tank being only 4ft. long there shouldn't be any shadowing but having dimmer areas is beneficial for certain corals. We'll see.

I think wether they can be dimmed or not has to do with the type of drivers and since these are internal, who knows? I personally am not willing to experiment, even though they're cheap.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

+1 on the experimenting with a dimmer!

I have mine 8inches of the top of the water. I could raise it alittle more I think and it would take some shadow out.
    MOst of my shadows are from the many small and large caves I have.

7. netspawn

netspawn Astrea Snail

Awesome thread. Hangin around.:cheesy:

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

You should be able to dim these I think. Maybe the Typhoon controller from Boost could be used. Im not totally sure and havent seen anyone do it before though. The shots look great though Todd. Glad to see you are happy with the new purchase.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks Norg and the others who have posted.
    I'm going to hold off on the dimmer for now.

I've got em plugged into those diaL looking harware store timers. The same ones I used with my PC's.

My sps, 7 different total are already near the top .
    With my New LED's, they are about 13inches from the light. They seem to be loving it! I could swear there are already new branches, and the polyps look fuller and are brighter color. My LPS and softies are mostly near the bottom or on the sandbed about 25-28 inches from the light source. They seem to be doing well also. Full polyps, still splitting heads, etc.

As I said when just the blues are on (actinics), compared to my PC's, it's way brighter and bluer. I mean it's kind of overwhelming blue. I only have the timers on blue only 45-1hr. before and after the whites, so it's not too bad.
    When both the blues and whites are on, it looks really good, and my fish and corals colors pop way more than with my PC's.

11. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well if I do try dimming them it wouldn't be until I got the appropriate module for my Apex...and that wouldn't be for a while since I've got tons of other things demanding of my funds ;).

I love your caves though and especially that rockwork in the center!

12. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

I have been eyeing these for a while and I have a 125 as well and was wondering if 2 would be enough coverage. Thanks for answering my question! Tank looks great 8)