My Chinese 120W LED's Review thread! Lowered the lights, post #192

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Decided to give it a try. My wife has some anti-dust tape left over from her greenhouse. This stuff: Anti-Dust Tape at Menards. It still lets some light in down the center of the strip. I only taped off two of the white strips on each fixture. The other thought was to tape off individual led's for more even lighting, but it actually looks fine the way it is. The color is much better than with them all on. I lowered them another inch to 8" above the water, and I'm going to extend the light cycle one hour for the first week, then increase it until I see stress in the LPS.

2. Click Here!

3. tonythereefer

tonythereefer Fire Shrimp

I'm thinking about getting a pair of the customizable fixtures for my 75 and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the layout of the lights

here is what I was thinking... 4 8500k whites, 12 10000k-14000k whites, 1 630nm red, 2 660nm red, 4 420nm violet and 32 455nm royal blue

this would give a 2:1 blue/white ratio and also add a little extra pop with the reds and violets.

Please tell me what you think of this layout, I'm in the process of exchanging emails with the manufacturer and want to get back to them quickly lol

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Sounds good to me!

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

HI Jerry,

I only have two sgtrips covered of the whites now too.

PS- I'm now a memeber of WI Reef Society, and am trying to host a monthly party in Jan, or Feb.
    If so, I hope you'll come by for it.

I'm going to try a yellow plastic over the whites soon and check that out.
    That way the yellower lengths will be more absorbed by the yellow plastic, leaving my blue, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The reason being is that when I wear my Yellow glasses (like sunglasses) and look ast my tank, it really pops more! Then I take them off, and not quite the same look.

I'll try to post before and after pics as well soon.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK, Another new mod!

Instead of covering some of the white strips, and losing those lights alltogether- I',m now changing the color of them a bit,

by putting a orangeish/yellow plastic strip over the line of 4 of the 6 white lights lines.

I really like it!

I'm going to try blue over the white lines also soon!

Whats nice is that I get a large sheet of the colored plastic for 40cents!

Until I get a multi colored-dimmable light, this is a great mod for next to nothing

7. Wankell

Wankell Astrea Snail

I just set up my colored (blue/white/red/green) light today and my zoas/palys responded immediately to it! I hope to see some good growth soon!

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Was that one of the Chi TaoTronics, or some other brand?

I'm curious b/c I/d like to upgrade soon to a multi-colored,
    higher blue/white ratio light.
    And, I'm still loving mine! Build quality seems really good,
    for a non dimmable, non programmable light.
    (Of course my blue and white are on separate timers)

10. Wankell

Wankell Astrea Snail

11. Wankell

Wankell Astrea Snail

So im having a hard time coping with the extreme blues when the whites turn off... How long do you guys run it like that?

A Ecotech Radion for example has a royal blue mode with reds as well but its a really nice blue and the color doesn't overwhelm the tank. OUR blue channel is overwhelming even on its lowest setting, I feel like im blinding my fish!

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

That is the exact same outer housing. I checkied the website, it may or may not havwe different LED's.
    And, it doesn't say that they are actually running about 2W max, like the Cinese ones do.

Overall, with the dimmers, different colors, and the higher blue/white ratio- I think it looks like a good light.
    The ones with the TaoTronics sticker on them come with a 2 yr warranty, probably not aq big deal- lets hope not!

Nice find, nice buy. I think I remember mine were $115 shipped, but not the same light as you have, and no dimmers.
    The $180 seems reasonable, especially compared to the high end prices.