My breeding experience!

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by joesreef, Dec 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. joesreef

joesreef Astrea Snail

Ok Im a newbie at this been breeding Occellaris for about 8 months now....I finally had to take a breat it was getting overwelming seeing I work 70 hours a week! anyway I noticed one day eggs all over a rock in the tank. I didn't know what to do I was very suprised. So I decided to get on a few forums and read all I could to find out the best wat to keep these guys alive and well. So I began to keep rotifers and BBB(Baby Brine Shrimp) to feed to the Larvae when it became time. The hardest thing to me is keeping Rotifers alive and not overpoluting the water. I was growing Greenwater(phytoplankton) for the Rotifers that live and survive in the larvae tank and adding Nanno for the Rotifer culture [​IMG] seems to me the cultures develope better with the nanno than the Live Greenwater(phytoplankton). I always kept a few cultures handy in case of a crash(overfeeding-underfeeding).
    The phyto I was growing I kept 5 1liter jugs handy [​IMG]
    and kept them on about an 8 hr. per day lighting cycle and a small bubble rate. When the phyto would thicken up and turn dark green I knew it would be time to split the culture and refrigerate the rest!
    here is a few pics of the setup
    old setup
    [​IMG]

new setup-
    [​IMG]

I wanted to attemp growing the larvae food before I attempted growing babies.

My pair of Occellaris have been with me for 2 years now and are a big part of my system. They house themselves in a 18"-20" Anemone. I first tried catching the larvae when they were first hatched in the main display tank and found out the survival rate was alot less because of the stress factor on them, moving from one tank to the next. So I decided to lay a few pieces of floor tile were the eggs were laid. [​IMG]
    a few weeks later they found the tile.
    I then wait 7-8 days until the eyes have formed and move the tile to a holding tank and aeriate the eggs with a small bubble across the tile to keep algae from forming on the eggs. After the lights go out the larvae hatches and I remove the tile from the water. I try to keep my Larvae tank at 80 degrees and my rotifer tank at room temperature. I don't do a water change until day 6 or 7 to keep the stress down. after day 7 or 8 I feed BBB.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

nice setup, very impressive, good luck to you

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Very nice. I'm thinking about breeding my maroon clown.

5. joesreef

joesreef Astrea Snail

Thanks I have my Clarki clowns that have laid several eggs! Its a great experience I wish everyone could encounter!

6. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

How big is your tank that they were laid in?

7. slocal

slocal Doot!

K+ very informative

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

brilliant , well done to you

Steve