my blue berry gorgonian

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Peredhil, May 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

How are diatoms not phyto? :confused: I suppose I could use Google to find more information about what does and does not qualify as phytoplankton but you simply can't deny that diatoms are a MAJOR part of the makeup of what most people refer to as phytoplankton, in both nature and in commercial bottled products.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/phyto-question-62885.html

That's the thread I'm referring to.

Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing (maybe we are). When I clean my glass with a mag float, green powdery stuff comes off. I have been calling this "green powder algae".

Are you saying this green powdery stuff is actually diatoms? And diatoms are phyto? (The second question, I agree is yes).

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I also use Cyclopseaze to feed I What i feed in the day time and is missed simply settles out in the corners of the sump along with undigested and digested fish poo and then at night I have all of that stirred up to renter the tank during the night time .. Free food and more consumed waste most would toss out of their systems then turn around and buy as Marine snow or coral food.

I feed only flakes to the fish and I feed rather heavly now days Like several times a day and I when feeding the fish will simply grind up a pinch between my fingers to make the flakes small enough to allow the corals to catch them . Never have any Alger's issues other then the Bropysis from feeding flakes .
    As for placement ? I have had them in on and over sand beds all I find is lots of water current is a gotta have . As for feeding DT's type phyto not necessary really . Not even sure that corals will feed on that now the sand fauna will for sure thats why I fed it to my systems more for the sand bugs rather then living corals Clams when I was involved with a breeding program several yrs ago .
    Then I used a auto doser pump to dose the heck out of the live fresh cultured Phyto's right from the reactors where I cultured them myself so I knew they where of proper size and contained the proper nutrients and amino acids .. I'm still not sold on the refrigerated Phytoplankton's sold commercially .

Also I never feed any thing by hand or on the spot I simple toss in the food the water currents does the rest this is why these corals in nature always grow in very strong flow areas between walls and in in trenches and mostly in nutrient rich Caribbean waters .

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ah, I see now. I'm not sure if the green powdery stuff is diatoms but I do know that the brown stuff that's hard to rub off is are the skeletons of diatom algae so in essence, it is phytoplankton.