my birds nest coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by maintman55, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. maintman55

maintman55 Flamingo Tongue

birds nest

yes ty,i am slowly bringing it up,,i just started using a new salt,,h2ocean,,it was low i realize that,,i usually do maintain 1.025.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i see a coral skeleton on the 1st pic. thats a def. sign something was/is wrong with your water, are you topping off with tap water? this could be the source of all trouble, this and lighting in my opinion. but ya untill we get accurate params of your water there isnt much we can do.

regarding the crab i have no idea. also as far as i know crabs dont molt. but i might be very wrong

4. Swisswiss

and apparently i am wrong BAM!

5. maintman55

birds nest

sg was low,working on that,,i only use ro water.i just posted my water par.,,wernt out that much??

6. Swisswiss

my bad missed your param post. yea you arnt that far off. i personally use 2 rails for a total of 4 t5s (2 day bulbs and 2 night bulbs) how long do your lights run for? im no coral expert but i still think it could be light related problem. but yea dont take my only word for it,nest corals are one of the harder corals to keep however.

7. maintman55

birds nest

lights are on 8 to 8,,,and coral is high up on the rocks to get it close to the light source,,,maybe get another coralife strip????????????/

ty for your advice

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

cant harm i would think, like i said i have a total of 4 t5s (cant give you the details of power and such......im at work......:shame:)

but yea im guessing you got a tank that was originally for fresh water maybe? light requirements are much lower. hopefully someone will either confirm what im telling you or send me to h377.

and no worries we are all here cus we need tips

10. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well, if your phosphates are legit, thats a huge issue sps need very clean water, alot of light, whats your alkalinity at? Your softies are tough, sps need alot of care, lots of light, flow, and almost perfect water, with a little love you can get your tank back in check but until then id hold off on the sps, ive been there trust me

11. sucker_fish

sucker_fish Astrea Snail

ammonia should be zero also