My betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Lady J, Aug 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Aww, thank you very much! Yes, he's mesmerizing. :) He's a half-moon and I tell ya, that iridescent baby blue coloring is so striking, especially in contrast to the red.

He's a very nice boy---he'll go rest down by the little cory cats and they all just kinda hang out.

This might make you giggle (well maybe :D). My little freshwater tank is only a 30g. long so i thought I should probably just put my betta in there with maybe 1 or 2 other very small fish (for a while I thought it should only be him). A few very nice people told me it was ok to add more fish so I added 8 espei rasboras and 6 little cory cats. (actually, I first added some rn tetras and they started beating up my boy within 24 hours of being in the tank---back to the store they went). I was really "freaking" out at first though because I worried that I was overstocking my tank. LOL *sigh* Someone kindly told me that this isn't saltwater, it's really ok to have these fish in my tank. Well, they were right!!! So far my tank is doing very well although I still need to get some dry fertilizers for my plants. Thank goodness for 2n10 and others who are helping me with all of this.

I'm having a lot of fun with this little tank and like learning the new water chemistry aspects of freshwater and how to keep plants alive. I pretty much know nothing but sure am trying! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Shhhh, don't tell anyone---my son sat next to me and showed me how to
    do it---again. :angel:

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

very nice! I like freshwater fish and grew up with multiple freshwater fish tanks, however my obsession with saltwater has kept me from having room for any other tanks

though, having 1 beta and goldfish tank actually got me into have a saltwater tank. I started with 1 beta in a bamboo vase. Then my nieces and nephew were spending the night with me and they wanted a fish of their own (their mother and father are disgusted with fish) so i bought each of them a goldfish. Unfortuantely 1 of them died and I went hunting for bigger nicer goldfish and ended up at the fishstore that had both salt and freshwater. They had an oceanic biocube on sale.......and that was all they wrote.

5. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you! :) He's truly beautiful.

I'm going through some very serious saltwater withdrawl since I just tore my reef down about 8 weeks ago. This is probably why I keep going into saltwater threads. 8) I must honestly say though, my betta is as pretty as most saltwater fish, and that's not something I say lightly! LOL My favorite will always be my midas blenny though because s/he used to spit water at me when it was feeding time. H I L A R I O U S ! ! ! :grinthumbs:

You've probably started an obsession with your nieces and nephew. If they later need therapy for their obsessions, well, tell 'em to send you the bill. :D

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Pink, hi, I have a tendency to hijack my own threads--;D--so I just wanted to tell you that your avatar of your tank is stunning. Truly beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I love seeing a betta in a nice big tank. Awesome *thumbs up*

8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I realize that many people keep them in small tanks and whatnot but I tell ya, he swims the whole tank, likes to explore, hangs out with the cory cats, rests in several different places, eats well, makes BIG bubble nests and overall seems to be thriving.

Edit: he really likes the plants as do the espei's so I'm going to add more; right now it's only medium planted. I'm very new to freshwater plants thus I didn't buy a lot of them as I was afraid I would kill them.

10. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Nice tank layout and even nicer Betta. I love the guys but in my area all the ones sold look so ragged and old it isn't worth trying to save them.

11. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for your compliments! :) The layout isn't too bad for someone new to planted tanks, and I like my stocking list, but I'm hoping to make it a bit better as time passes and I become more experienced.

I know what you mean regarding the condition some of them are in. Well, they stay in a cup in a store so I guess we shouldn't be surprised. :(

I always hear how aggressive they can be but truthfully there is absolutely no aggression occurring in my tank. The cory cats are at the bottom, the espei's swim middle to top and the betta goes everywhere. They all have lots of room so that certainly helps. :)

I LOVE my new little tank. :D

12. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

Nice tank! I setup a ten gallon planted tank for my betta. I added seven cardinal tetras and they are doing very well together. Also use diy CO2.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.