My banggai cardinals are doing the courtship dance!

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by horkn, May 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yeah, it's been very obvious for quite some time now that he is carrying.

When I first posted the thread, the female was still doing the dance around him, even though he obviously had eggs in his mouth. He has not eaten since then as well. Everything I have read is that the female will only continue to dance for a couple hours after the male has the eggs in his mouth. So I am counting on that day as day 1.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Ok, I have a boat load of baby brine shrimp that have been feeding on selcon, and a male banggai that has a mouth full of babies. He will be releasing them any day now.

I just need to make a mesh wall for the fuge that will keep the babies in the fuge, and not in the sump, where a large maroon clown lives. Other than that, I am set. well, that and catching the little guys if they don't automatically go to the "trap".

I've been super busy with my new puppy, but I should be able to take on this challenge as well.

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Pics a must if you can swing focussing on such tiny objects. Would love to see them! Good luck. :)

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, it appears the male let the fry go a couple nights back. I went down every night to double check. My fry "trap" didn't work, because there were none in the overflow, and none in the sump.

I will try again next time the male has his mouth full.

7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Sorry to hear, maybe it will be better the second time around. Good luck anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

dang. My pair bred about half a dozen times but I still have never seen the fry outside of his mouth.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

This was literally the first time these 2 have bred, so I will try and be a little more prepared. To be honest my new puppy was keeping me up at night and pre occupied. Had I gone downstairs several times and checked with a flashlight, I might have caught some.

A friend of mine successfully raised over 200 occellaris, and he had his adult pair spawn in his reef tank. I will see what he did to catch his fry. If he could catch those tiny little fry, I should be able to catch mini cardinals a lot easier.

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Success!!!!!

I thought I had lost every one of the first spawning attempts fry, but last night, to my surprise, I found one baby banggaii living in my overflow. Its been there since, what, like 5 weeks ago?
    I fed the little guy some of Limpets reef buffet, and then caught him, and put it in the 40 breeder along with the 3 clown babies I got from my friend.

Here are some pics of the baby cardinal.

In the overflow - right in the center
    [​IMG]
    and now in my frag tank
    [​IMG]

I'm elated to see that at least 1 made it out of that batch. 1 in 40 is probably a better shot than they have in the wild anyway:)

Next time they spawn, which should be soon, I will be even more prepared to catch and raise the fry.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Wow, that's awesome horkn! Congrats!