My banggai cardinals are doing the courtship dance!

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by horkn, May 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yeah, that's typically what they do sparky, now if your overflow is like mine, I think the LED's will bring them in when the male releases them at night. Or some use a fry catcher with a couple LED's on them. One company makes one for like 120 dollars.

A member of my local club is raising false percs that he caught with the same method form fry in his DT.

He has over 200 clowns that will be ready soon.

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, the dad is being a good father. No sign of any hatched eggs yet, but his mouth is getting bigger.

4. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

i had this odd flash of you going through a sympathy pregnancy - as in, running around the house with a mouthful of caviar :)

I am eager to see how this goes! How awesome that soon there will be babies.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

LOL hahaha

@ts

GOOD LUCK WITH THE FRY! :)

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

LOL, All is well as of now. Let's see they are on like 2 weeks now.

I will need to buy some brine shrimp and start hatching them soon, I will feed the brine with selcon to give the fry better chance of surviving. Apparently non fortified brine shrimp can give cardinal fry some sort of tremors that can kill them.

7. idunn

idunn Astrea Snail

Hey, lucky you. My are doin the the same thing right now. I've successfully had the banggais fry release before, but didn't put them in a separate tank. feeding is difficult. you better hatch some brine. they dig that. Good luck. i'll dig up the pics i have of the eggs in the males mouth.

8. Click Here!

9. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

oooooohhhh glad to see an update here. Ive been wondering about the eggs and whether they had hatched yet.

:)

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I have not seen him open his mouth recently to see if any swimmers are in there. I would imagine they have to be close.

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, I re read what the incubation time is for the fry, and it is 21 days usually. But they can be anywhere from 18-24 days. Day 18 is tomorrow.

I will be hatching baby brine tomorrow, and feeding them selcon in preparation. Any brine that get too old or are hatched too early get to be live food for the tank. Sux to be my fish I guess. ;)

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

When the male is carrying eggs, his mouth is so full, it's usually not possible for him to close it completely. Mine swam with his mouth open. He doesn't touch food during this time. Also, the profile of the jaw becomes squared off. It's pretty obvious when they're carrying.