My Anemone keeps spitting out his food!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by glblguy, Apr 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Well, sure don't want to feed him if I don't have to. So how do they eat? Just filter feed?

2. Click Here!

3. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

Both filter feed and lighting, but mostly the lighting. Before I got the clown I never fed mine, i'm sure the clown gives him some food. But he was happy with just the light.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd like to say they just do it LOl But here is a short and simple explnation of what happens in the sac o water many call anemone's , But when light hits it :) microscopic single-celled, brown algae or dinoflagellates called zooxanthellae. live in the anemones and Like all plants, they require sunlight for photosynthesis, a process that the suns or solar energy is used to make sugars from carbon and water. Some of these sugars feed the algae's metabolism, but most of them "leak" to the anemone, providing energy or food to it. Thats the readers Digiest version Plus they will trap particals in the water such as flake and fish droppings and suck its poo to me but its food to them :) But then again I'm no anemone

2 people like this.
  5. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Great info, thanks Tangster!

6. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

If he is moving you may just want to let him be as he is looking for a home that fits his needs ( flow rate and light), and he will keep moving until he finds one.

I feed my anems scallops from the local grocery store about once evry pther week and let the light do the rest. I wouldnt worry about him to much if he still looks good and isnt keeping the food you give him as previously said he is probably getting food elsewhere.

-And-

Tangerster...

Karma to you for the best explanation of an anem and feeding from the light so easy to understand that way.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I once upon a time had a nice little anemone that I never fed for years.

My Maroons and lighting took care of it just fine.

Then I made big boo-boo and decided to give it a small squirt of what ever I was feed fish every day.

It quickly morphed into this monster! :eek:

[​IMG]

Now was afraid not to feed it!! (call it Audry II, as in "...Feed me Seymore, uh Omar...")

:-/