My adult clown trigger is dieing!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by whiptofiz, Sep 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

was in 33 going into 55 DT now in 15 qt

2. Click Here!

3. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

he was in the 15 gal qt in these photos. My new blue angel is in there with him as i did not want him in the 33 which had the problem and 55 not ready

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I was trying to think of other issues besides low oxygen. It doesn't appear to be a disease or pathogen. It seems to be a problem during or because of acclimation. Your clownfish was not affected. Not in the way you did it.

It is possible that the fish store salinity was low and yours was correct or high. Stores often run the SG low to save on salt, and a lower salinity in the short term is less stress on the fish. Some places run a low level of copper, etc. These procedures help the fish while they are in the store, but not after you bring them home.

If the difference in salinity is too great, a one hour acclimation is not enough. Ph difference could be another factor also. Kind of grasping for straws here.

It is also possible that the trigger was catching his breath after curb stomping the small Emperor, and he is hiding in shame. ;D

1 person likes this.
  5. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

LMAO :lol:

Do you think it would take over 6for them to show signs of that to show up. They were in the tank for over 6 hours, they were fed and all ate very well and acted completely normal. I checked them first thing in the morning and angel was dead trigger was on the ground breathing heavily. If it would then this must be the reason. I wasn't thinking of that

You have made me realize that i will be testing the water from the various marine stores.;D

Thanks

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, the salinity change would be a slightly more prolonged period where they seem fine. The pH would affect them instantly.

7. barbianj

Good idea, the last two times I brought something home, the dKH was 6.0, from different stores. One was a fish, and one was an LPS coral. How different the waters are should really dictate how long an acclimation should take. You would surprised what you find, and it will show you where to shop, and where not to. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Soggytoes

Soggytoes Flamingo Tongue

Feel bad for this guy getting stuck in such a small tank... 125 gallon would be the minimum a fish like this needs to be happy and thrive

10. barbianj

Completely true. Guess that was grossly overlooked. Good point.:-[

11. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

He will be going to a larger tank but not for 7 months as I need to set up and cycle a new system I'm hoping to get soon. I feel ssorry for him in the qt tank and wanted to move him but don't want to stress him more. Today he is moving around more, took a look at some food this morning but did not eat anuthing when I was around. I sure hope he eats. Anybody have any idea how long he will last without food? Anyones trigger ever go on a hunger strike? (I know its unlikly as trigs love food).

12. barbianj

Sounds like he is freaked out. If the original idea was to put all of those fish in a 55, it's not a good one. When you first posted, I had in mind two similar sized fish. You sorta left out the size of the trigger for a while there. That's a big factor in what's happening, and not a good plan to keep him in a 55 for 7 months. Just my 2 cents.