My 90 Reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by neokid, Jan 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

very cool tank neokid , ill have to look for those frag mags in australia8)

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I love your tank, Welcome to 3reef!
    Did i mention i love your tank!!
    its very diferent, awesome.

4. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

First tank I have seen done with the frag mags on the glass. Very smart and interesting. I also noticed your running mostly a bare bottom? And very little rock. Do you have a sump with some stuff in it? A refugium? Whats up ? :p I might reconsider my rearrangement of the tank when i moved it in a couple months.

How much did the solatubes run you?

How old is the tank?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  5. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

You know what I was thinking? Some people have said that they worry about the solatubes. They say that you would have to regulate when there is no sun or to much. Think about it. What happens in the real open? They go without the sun when its not out and they handle when it is intense mode. I think I will consider the Solatubes when I get my new house. Very Very smart and helps the ecosystem even more I believe.

Also. I remember a guy in florida, Rich guy.... He had a 400 or so gallon fish tank on his back deck. He plumbed water from the sea Right into his tank. No need for skimmer, bi-weekly water changes, top offs, (mag,calc,kawk, any substance) additive, no need for a refugium or a sump or heater.... the list goes on. Then if you think about it light from right from the sky as it was on his deck. Lucky fools....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  6. neokid

neokid Plankton

Thanks for all the kind words.

It's amazing about 3 years when I was attempting to research Solatubes for Reef Tanks, there was little or no information available. I couldn't find anyone that has attempted it, especially here in the Mid Atlantic states. Most people said "It wouldn't work".. Well it is working very well. I only wish I had room for a deeper tank and bigger tubes to grab even more sunlight with. If you are considering using these, you'll want to include some T5Ho's to get some blues to pop.. Every reef needs Actinics :)

As far as the cost is concerned, they were relatively cheap. I did the installation when I put on my addition to my house. I have (02) 10" Gordan Brand skylights, and actually replaced the mfg's domes with flat non-UV absorbing plexiglass...

My setup is Barebottom... I skim VERY wet (3 to 5 gallons of Tea colored skimate a week)with my Deltec AP600 wide open. I do have a 20 gallon refugium that I keep some Pulsing Xenia and Chaeto, although the Chaeto really isn;t growing much and acts more like a Detrius trap.. The only suppliments I add are Mrs. Wages Pickling lime for 100% of my topoff.

Guess that's about it. I'll keep the pictures coming, as the growing season is almost upon us, and the Sun is climbing high in the sky:)

Later,

Neokid