My 75G Tank Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mlott132, May 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brownie

Brownie Flamingo Tongue

I understand that the glass blocks light, but you stated that gas exchange is an issue with a glass top. . . If your running a sump, like I am is this really an issue?

2. Click Here!

3. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

My cuc arrived from reefcleaners today. Got to tell you John is a great guy! He sent WAY more than I ordered! The one thing that surprised me was how the ceriths made a beeline for the top of the glass. Most of them are just sitting at the top of the waterline.

4. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

First fish is in the QT! Got a purple firefish. Initially matched the salinity to my lfs, now slowly raising it to match mine. Waited a couple hours after putting it in the tank to feed it and it ate very well. Now the waiting game til I can transfer it to my DT!:D

5. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

First Scare!

Was doing my water test tonight and about had a heart attack when I saw the results from my QT. The ammonia was at .5 and the nitrite was at .25! These were holding at zero since I started the tank on Saturday. Of course I was in the middle of mixing some water for my water change this weekend so I could not do an immediate water change. I added a small amount of prime to get by until the water was mixed. After the water was ready, I did a 50% water change on the QT with water from the DT and waited a little bit to retest. The retest came back fine with both a zero. One thing I have to say is the the ammonia alert badge does not work. Still showed normal when it was high. Now all is calm and the fish appears to be doing fine.

6. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

It has been awhile since I have posted an update on my tank. So far my livestock consists of.

1 - purple firefish
    1 - bicolor blenny
    1 - red head goby
    1 - mccosker's wrasse
    2 - chalk bass
    2 - cleaner shrimp
    1 - peppermint shrimp
    1 - pom pom crab
    1 - brittle sea star
    and the normal cuc

As you can see by the pics my FOWLR has progressed into a reef tank with a couple softies. I also upgraded my lighting with a couple Chinese LED fixtures that have built in dimmer controls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. razataz

razataz Bristle Worm

I really like your tank keep the pics and updates coming