My 75G Tank Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mlott132, May 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Well it looks like the cycle is starting to kick into the next gear. Starting to get a lot of green and brown algae on the rocks. At what point in the cycle is it ok to add the cuc? Also, found out that the rock in the first picture has majano anemones on it. They got to go. Was told to burn them off and then scrub with saltwater. Instead of that could I just soak it in a bleach solution and then rinse with freshwater?

2. Click Here!

3. SaltLife84

SaltLife84 Plankton

Good luck with the new tank! I'm looking into starting my own tank of similar size.

4. Pre-game

Pre-game Astrea Snail

Nice looking tank! I just started my 75 build as well... The crab is a sally lightfoot.. Very good detris cleaner.. All over the place and not shy and reclusive like my emerald crab is... Nice scape keep up the good work

5. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Found this on one of my rocks. Any Ideas?

[​IMG]

6. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Could my cycle be done??

For the last two days my test results have been the same.

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 10
    PH = 7.8
    SG = 1.024

Could my cycle be complete?

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

It very well could be, give it another day just in case.

8. Click Here!

9. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

I have read that a good test to see if the cycle is complete is to add a few flakes of food. Is that a good test? If so, i have some gold fish flakes would that work?

I noticed that my pH level is a little low. Will the 50% water change correct this or should I add some buffer? Is there any brand that is better then the other for the buffer?

If the cycle is complete I will more than likely order my cuc this week. I was wondering if I could add a couple cleaner shrimp the same time I add my cuc? If so, Can I add the shrimp right away or do they need to go into my QT first? I think I know the answer to this, but would like to confirm that I do the 50% water change first then add cuc?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  10. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Thoughts??

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I see no reason why you couldn't add a CUC, but make sure they have a food source first. You may need to provide some food for them, but maybe not.

How low is low (pH?)

12. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

My pH is around 7.8. That has been constant throughout my cycle. With all the algae growing on my rock I think that the cuc will have a good food source for a while.