My 75G Tank Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mlott132, May 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

I want to start off first and thank everyone for their feedback. Without your help I would have made a lot of bad decisions. Thanks again.

Only one more day until I finally get my tank filled! It has been a long process to get to this point, but I am glad this part of the journey is coming to an end. I have a friend that has had a saltwater tank for a long time coming over tomorrow to help me get this started. Here are some pictures of my tank and sump setup. Once we get it filled and scaped I will post more pics.

I was planning on seeding my QT filter sponge in the sump. Do I wait until the cycle is over to put the sponge in the sump and do I need to hook it up to the air pump or just set it in the sump?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since these pictures have been taken I received my new LED fixture. I ordered a SkyLED 462 LED unit from truaqua. Big improvement over the stock single bulb fluorescent unit and it only cost me $120. Here are some pics of the tank with the new light.

[​IMG]
    With all LEDs on

[​IMG]
    Just the blues

[​IMG]
    Red and blue

[​IMG]
    What the LED array looks like.

I was thinking of taking the glass covers off and installing screens. Any opinions on this? Would it help the tank run better?

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Nice clean setup! I would take off the glass tops.

4. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Going to be starting my cycle today using shrimp and had a couple questions. First, does it matter if I use shrimp from the deli case or uncooked frozen? Second, how long do I leave it in the tank, for a day or two or don't take it out?

5. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

I am leaning that way.

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Uncooked and don't take it out.

I would just use live rock and bio Spira with live sand in the sump. You'd cycle within a week. I personally use damsels, but that's just me and I've never lost any nor did any show signs of stress or harm.

7. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Get raw if possible, but def uncooked.

Bio spira works but dont add a damsel they are the meanest fish of life. Youll regret putting it in your tank when the next fish u add gets mauled by em.

Make a screen top for the tank, glass blocks light, and gas from getting in and out.

Looks good tho

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

Im curious about the leds are they good for corals or are they just for fish only

10. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Researching builds on this now.

Fish only I believe.

I'll post more pics tonight after it's filled and scaped.

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

12. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm