my 75g reef tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by tazzy695, Apr 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i had that stuff too.....added my yellow tang, and POOF *no algae*. m betting its your po4's, just run a poly filter or phosphate absorbing media until you can get RO water, Do you have RO?

Nice tank, love the rocks! :D

2. Click Here!

3. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

yes I am runing ro filter not rodi might upgrade again later after I get a bigger house I am living in a tlr right now and realy cramps the space I have avail for equipment

but now that i have added a small cleanup crew and the extra tang I am seeing some more progress but not shure if they are just keeping up or actualy making progress as it is too early to tell

I would consider a yellow tang but personaly I dont care much for them color wise I think they are ugly and borring

there are 2 more tangs I want one is a blue hippo and the other would be a clown if I can find either one for a reasonable price oh yea want a powder brown again so make that 3 more tangs

4. cornfacereef

cornfacereef Astrea Snail

Hello, Im really new with the hobby and would like to know where I can get that kind of live rock that looks like a chia pet with all that hair on it already.

I think it looks great, who sells it?

Thanks so much.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Cornface, are you being sarcastic...???
    [​IMG]

Hair algae like that is one of the last things you want to have to deal with in a new tank.

Be very thankful if you can keep your reef free of it.

BTW...

[​IMG]

6. mattchew

mattchew Bristle Worm

tazzy are you using ro/di water? or tap?

7. cornfacereef

Im so sorry, I was not being sarcastic at all. Just trying to see what I would like my tank to look like.

So it's not suppose to look like that?

What happens when it does get that effect?

To much fertilization, I heard people can buy salts, sands and things from Home Depot for the fishtank.

Thank you, Im looking for instruction and advise.

BTW, thanks for the warm welcome.

CORN

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Corn,

Start your own new thread...so you can be properly welcomed and we can get you pointed in right direction...

(What we are doing now is called "hijacking" a thread...)

Will look for your post...

Scott

10. spiralout

spiralout Astrea Snail

nice aquascape.
    spiral

1 person likes this.
  11. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

thanx for the coment that arch is a definate balncing act

as for the gren plague I dont think it is ha any more but rather the nightmare bryopsis I am working on getting my ca and mg up to levels I can start keeping a couple of sps corals and with any luck the higher levels of mg will kill it off

cornfacereef if you want some rock to look like a chia pet pm me your address and I will toss some of this bryopsis in a bag and send it to ya and in about a month your tank will be full of it and you will be cussing it out as it will strangel your corals out and is extreemly hard to kill and get rid of

I probly harvest a baseball size wad out at least 2x a month right now very anoying if it werent for my nem I would probly take all the rock out and cook it then recycle the rock back in as an attempt to kill the stuff

oh yea I promise I will post some more pics later this week or early next week droped the laptop in some water change water and lost a lot of stuff :((

marc

oh yea welcome to this wonderfull site cornfacereef

12. cornfacereef

I like that idea cooking the rock, what temperature do you suggest broiling or baking the rock at in the oven. Because I don't want any hair algae on it when its done cooking.

Can you boil the rock in a turkey fryer? That might be a faster way of cooking the rock.

I was also thinking if, you can freeze the harvested algae and feed your tangs with it, if incase you run out of food?