My 55g 2.0

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by mdbostwick, Mar 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

looking great md! Nice job on the ATS! looks like a pro built it :)

mdbostwick likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Thank you

4. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

That is one nice scrubber ..Hard to tell from pics but you may possibly need a bit more flow,it should come off the bottom of the screen almost like one sheet of water.
    I just went through your thread but can only see the pics on the last page ..

CBSurfrider likes this.
  5. mdbostwick

Thank you.

It isn't bad for my first attempt. I will see how it goes and if it does well at its job and i do well at mine, maintenance, I may rebuild and enclose it. But it is good for now.

It was built for the small pump i have running it and it actually is coming off as a sheet now, it took it a little bit for it to do so. It has a little bit of color to it now so i am just waiting for the algae to take hold.

I will see if i can figure out the previous pictures and reload them on the other posts, I guess they didn't move over correctly.

FeedYourMachine likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

So it has been a while since i updated, again.

I have added some new coral, It finally doesn't look so empty.

I am still having some trouble with the cyano, but i at least have it in check at the moment. My ATS is finally starting to look like a slimy green shag carpet so maybe that is what is beginning to get that under control. I am considering a blackout for a few days to try to stunt the rest of the algae growth in the DT but I have never done it before and need some instruction on how to do that with out pissing off my inhabitants.

No new livestock other than coral but I do have some updated and better pictures of what i do have. Was hoping on getting some IDs on some of these corals if anyone has any ideas on what they may be. I know what about half of them are but only ballpark for most of the others.

Been having an issue with my salinity being low due to an overflow issue i had last week and still getting that corrected.

Other than that just watching it grow .

Information i am really needing on the corals I have is if they are in what appears to be a good location and not sure on aggression toward other coral so I need to know if they need to be moved away from anything else before they grow make themselves permanent and grow too close together. 20140803_163445.jpg 20140803_163456.jpg 20140803_163508.jpg
    I believe these are mushrooms? but have no idea what the yellow is. 20140803_163526.jpg 20140803_163611.jpg 20140803_163659.jpg 20140803_163727.jpg 20140803_163801.jpg
    I hope you can see on this picture, i had to change the color a bit, but i think this may be coralline algae or something else? There is a bit of green cyano in between it but i am looking at the light purplish blue spots. The rock is Marshall Island rock, don't know if that makes a difference, but i can't find any of my old tank pictures to compare against.

Will add FTS later.

Attached Files:

7. mdbostwick

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I believe the coral id goes something like this...
    Frogspawn
    Dendro (hope youve read up on this)
    Mushroom w/sponge (yellow) and maybe a zoa polyp under that?
    Frogspawn
    Clove Polyp
    Hawkins Echinata
    Gorgonia
    Candy Cane

mdbostwick likes this.
  10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

+1 have to agree with everything. Echinata looks nice.

Are you aware you have an NPS on your hands now?

mdbostwick likes this.
  11. mdbostwick

I believe i have 2 if i am not mistaken.

Anything i need to do for the sponge?

Anyone tried a blackout for cyano in which it was successful? Do i need to cover the tank to stop all light from reaching the tank if i do this?

One of my real concerns is with the frogspawn since i know it is a faster grower than the SPS near it, is it aggressive? i have it in proximity to some sps and the last thing I want is for it to outgrow everything else and keep my sps from growing or worse start to attack the sps.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I have pink sponges like that, I find they do better if you ignore them lol.

Check out this thread http://www.3reef.com/threads/so-has-anyone-had-any-real-success-with.154572/ for cyano help. But yet, cover the whole tank to prevent any light from getting in.

Typically SPS is a faster grower than LPS, that's why LPS packs a much more potent sting. I wouldn't risk anything and just move the frogspawn

mdbostwick likes this.