My 55g 2.0

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by mdbostwick, Mar 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Also, In attempts to help with the cyano and other nuisance algae going on, I am running some chemipure elite.

Also added a protein skimmer. That and the frags are from Dan, Civiccars.

2. Click Here!

3. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

getting there!:) nice frags

4. mdbostwick

Thank You!

5. mdbostwick

So, I have a small issue. in my overflow box, i have about 12 snails that have gone in there and can't seem to find there way out. I can't fit my hand down there to get them and I don't know what i could use to get them out. I was wondering if i were to open the drain all together and see if i could flush them into my sump where i could grab them, but i don't know if this is a good idea or not. my sump is remote and i am afraid they may get stuck in there somewhere I would never find them again. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

7. mdbostwick

This is what I am looking at. in the middle section there is a bunch as well and assuming there are more on the other drain section as well.
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. TheJesture

TheJesture Plankton

You could get a siphon hose down there and start the siphon and pick up the shells one by one like that... it would be a little time consuming considering you would have to restart the siphon every time you picked one up?

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow, silly snails! they really are down in there.......it doesn't look like you could stick a siphon down in there. the wire brush may be worth a try - I didn't look at the one civic posted but I have one that would probably fit down in there and you can curve the end wrap around them and pull them up - if they're stuck on there. in typing that, could you try a wire hanger? wrap around the shell and slowly slide them up (if they're attached) - if not, they'd just fall to the bottom.

11. mdbostwick

a siphon hose big enough to suck them up a bit is too big for the little crevice they are in. I thought this was a great idea and immediately grabbed a hose and tried it out. So i was a little sad when it didn't work.

i may be able to use a wire of sorts but the only type i have is copper. So my little brain doesn't know anything about chemistry and metal leeching into the water or anything. So, would using a copper wire to fish them out leech copper into my water? because if it is a choice between some idiot snails who took a path to no food or my fish/livestock, i am guessing i don't have to tell you which one i will choose.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good point, I'm thinking copper probably isn't a good idea.