My 40gB REBUILD!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by TheManJordo, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheManJordo

TheManJordo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

The build is coming along great! Love the stand and you got skillz!!

As far as the return goes, you should look at the head loss of 4ft to be safe. You have Glass-holes kit of 700gph, which will handle plenty for your setup. The return gph rate should be determined by the actual water volume in the sump not the display. I really dont know which one you decided to go with for the sump, so lets say you have 20G for the sump. You'd have 70~80% of volume water in there, so 16 gallons of water times 6~10 in general, so the return rate for this example is 96~160 gph with the headloss. I know its crazy low, but it is suggested.

I have a 20 long sump for my 90, with the Rio 10HF as a return pump, and this is more gph than suggested.

4. TheManJordo

So I don't need a pump that will do 700gph to match my overflow? Or do I need to do something to slow that down? I am using a 20g long for my sump..

And thanks about the stand it still isn't finished lol I gotta finish the front

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Drain GPH > Return GPH, to avoid overflowing the display. My return is pushing 350gph or so with the headloss. The drain in my system is supposed to handle 2,000gph.

However, if you wanna keep the drain sound quiet, it is a different story. You could install a ball valve to slow down the drain if you like. Id leave it unrestricted tho, until I see an issue.

6. TheManJordo

So a mag 3 would be ok to use? Are they good pumps?

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I had luck with my mag 3. Ive been using it for a while now. I used it as a return for my 29 for a year, worked great, now Im using the same pump to run the BioPellets.

On the contrary to what I said before, Id try to get a Mag5. Just because I like more flow and you can always tee back the flow if its too much.

[​IMG]
    According to this, youd get 300~gph give or take with the Mag5.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is an awesome chart. I'm going to have to save that one lol.

10. TheManJordo

Ok I'll order it in the morning :) I have a gift card for petco, I was saving it for a pump i know petco is a little more pricey then other stores online, but idk what else to use the card for

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is a bad way to spend the money. ;D

12. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Dont you hate it when you kinda know what the flow is like but not really, so you have to start googling all over?

(BTW the chart is from the Petsolutions site :) )