My 40gB REBUILD!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by TheManJordo, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheManJordo

TheManJordo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

They can stay for a little while, but I want them gone soon :)

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Lol, they will leave once they use up all the available silicates. Shouldn't take to long. They can rear their ugly heads anytime tap water is used lol. Learned that one the hard way.

4. TheManJordo

OK guys... this might take some time due to resources and not having all the tools needed but I'm rebuilding this tank before its too late...

Step One... A new stand... I would like to build my own but I do not have a saw to cut the wood, but a friend of mine does and I also believe Lowes can cut it for me...

Step Two... Building my sump... I have a 10 gallon that I am going to use, my tank is not drilled, so I am going to go with a CPR CS50 Overflow box (300gph)... I do not know what pump I should use for my return or what rate... I plan on dividing it into 3 sections

Step Three... Ditching the canister and using 2 reactors, one running GAC and one Dr. Tim's NP Active Pearls... I will pick out a skimmer too...

I'll be posting pictures of progress and im open to suggestions....

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Sounds like a solid plan. Why don't you see if you can get a LFS to drill the tank for you?

6. TheManJordo

My lfs is pretty much worthless... They are the ones that talked me into the canister and screwed me on that... and then they tried to sell me RO/DI water that was worse then my water... So im just using distilled water... for now...

7. TheManJordo

I have made my plan for my stand... I am going to Lowes tomorrow to get the wood and get it cut... I also decided that im going to use glass tiles on the outside to make it unqiue... Hopefully it turns out as nice as I vision in my head...

Im planning on making my old 10 gallon into the sump.. is 3 "areas" going to make the "areas" too small?

8. Click Here!

9. TheManJordo

Being that I'm buying a drill I might drill it myself... but im nervoussss lol

10. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

a 10 gallon sump into 3 areas, with baffling... way to small IMO. i just did a 30 with 3 areas. check it out on my thread. didn't show the steps, but showed the finished product.

11. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

congrats on the re-build! sounds like the stand is going to turn out nice can't wait to see it.

I think you're on the right track. I would consider a larger sump if you can fit one, maybe a 20?

+1 on the drilling of the tank though. Look around, almost everyone says how nervous they are, and then the next post is "that was easier than I thought!" :p If you've got the skills to build a stand, you can drill a hole in glass

12. TheManJordo